Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

K98 - Karabiner 98 Seitengewehr ( Bayonet )

Article about: The Edged Weapon community has enjoyed some of the best seen collectibles that the Third Reich period could offer. After 80 years, the craftmanship can not be compared to what is seen during

Invasion of Poland 1939.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture K98 - Karabiner 98 Seitengewehr ( Bayonet )  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement K98 - Karabiner 98 Seitengewehr ( Bayonet )
    P
    Many

A couple more SS pics.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture K98 - Karabiner 98 Seitengewehr ( Bayonet )   K98 - Karabiner 98 Seitengewehr ( Bayonet )  

1 more parade pic.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture K98 - Karabiner 98 Seitengewehr ( Bayonet )  

SS with Hitler and Himmler.

?

Great Photos friend.

Hi. More SS.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture K98 - Karabiner 98 Seitengewehr ( Bayonet )   K98 - Karabiner 98 Seitengewehr ( Bayonet )  

K98 - Karabiner 98 Seitengewehr ( Bayonet )   K98 - Karabiner 98 Seitengewehr ( Bayonet )  

Give this thread a bump. One thing I've noticed after looking at numerous WW2 photos of the S84/98 in combat conditions is the wearing thin of factory blue finish in many photos. I don't think it's just light reflection off blued steel. Consider that the 3rd type S84/98 used in the Third Reich began production in 1934. By 1943 or 1944, some of these bayonets had been in continuous service for 10 years or more and the blued finish was wearing down. A few example photos of shiny bayonets;

K98 - Karabiner 98 Seitengewehr ( Bayonet )K98 - Karabiner 98 Seitengewehr ( Bayonet )K98 - Karabiner 98 Seitengewehr ( Bayonet )

Obviously a shiny bayonet attracts attention and may betray a soldiers position to the enemy. So what was done? We collectors usually believe the efficient German military would periodically collect up all these shiny bayonets and send them away for re-bluing. Certainly this seems to have happened to some, but with 15 million bayonets made between 1934-45 it is highly likely many never got the rebluing they needed during war time.
    Today we can still find examples that have never seen a rebluing since manufacture. As you might expect the older S code production of the 1930's is usually the ones that were wearing their bluing thin by the early 1940's. Like this example made in 1935;

Here's a photo of a Field issue of Luftwaffe P.08 pistols and S84/98 bayonets by a field Armourer. Note the tone difference on the bayonet scabbards showing varying degree of blue finish wear.

The question is sometimes raised were the scabbards ever painted during WW2. The answer is always given as; "No never", by those who seem to be experts. But how do they know for sure? When you think about it, a Field Armourer faced with shiny scabbards on the combat Front might consider a coat of black paint a quick pragmatic solution. Did it ever happen? we'll never know one way or another, but it is interesting that you can find S84/98's with black overpainted scabbards. Often they are with matching bayonets and S code examples as well. The conventional wisdom is this is post war paint, but maybe some are war time over paints. It's an issue I think we need to keep an open mind on.

Here's a photo of one such painted scabbard. I make no claims regarding this one, it's simply an example, (though I'm sure someone will be convinced they know it was painted post war!)

May the knowledge increase by questioning old assumptions.

I'm very appreciative of all of the posts with I think #16 showing what may be a Czech manufactured G.24(t). The original Czech (Vz.24) and early German supervised bayonet production from there still having the full muzzle rings and polished bright pommels, as can be seen in the attached photos. Best Regards, Fred

?

?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast