Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

SA or SS dagger? take a look at this 1937 NY City Photo

Article about: by youthcollector1 So he is wearing a Brownshirt similar to this? Yes. The last photo on this site...: KARANLI ...was taken at the same occasion. Under enlargement, the anchor devices on the

Quote by Chopperman View Post
    Sorry for Hijacking your thread
    No, good job! That appears to be the award the gentleman in uniforms similar to the style of the German Kriegsmarines appear to be wearing.
    I thought the EK's had a strange shape, this possible explains it.
    Last edited by youthcollector1; 11-21-2013 at 06:03 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SA or SS dagger? take a look at this 1937 NY City Photo
    P
    Many

No problem hijacking the thread Chopper just as long we do not stray too far from the NSKK subject. It may be a worth while investment to start a separate thread on the topic of Bund related uniforms medals and accoutrements . That should prove useful on a topic rarely encountered.

As long as the topic does not step into the political movement. Great stuff here Gents!! Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

If possible, I would like to hear Mr. Coleman's opinion. I have the upmost respect for his extensive knowledge in this sub-field, and he could either confirm or deny my prior statements.
    Because of my age I've had a lot less years to study, thus, I'm constantly second guessing myself.

Thanks guys.
    So i do have a question. I am not well versed in daggers
    at all. So how would I tell the difference between a SA dagger
    and a NSKK. Wouldn't they both have brown handles and
    the SA rune?
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Hi Greg, yes, it is just the scabbard colour which defines them.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Chopperman View Post
    Thanks guys.
    So i do have a question. I am not well versed in daggers
    at all. So how would I tell the difference between a SA dagger
    and a NSKK. Wouldn't they both have brown handles and
    the SA rune?
    Correct, but as Larry stated the sheath is black for NSKK daggers, though it also appears from his statement that early on that was a option. The best way, at least for me, is to look at the uniform.

"then the scabbard [of the NSKK dagger] does not necessarily have to be painted black because of the time frame....NSKK dagger examples are also seen..with "anodized black scabbards" for the earlier members. Painted black scabbards were another option to opt out in paying for an anodized scabbard"-Larry

Thanks Ade
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

My pleasure.

The NSKK originally wore standard SA daggers. It was only on May 19th 1936 that Hühnlein decreed that a black scabbard could be worn.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Let me sort it all out, guys:

The flag bearer in the brownshirt uniform wearing the dagger is not with an NSKK motor boat unit, but actually a member of the Marine-SA [Naval SA]. Hence, the brown scabbard. Also note the distinctive cap badge.

The young white-shirted flag bearer with the U.S. flag is indeed with the German-American Bund.

The men in the double-breasted naval uniforms are officers of a commercial shipping line, very likely from the ship that carried the coffins of the victims home. I can't quite make out the decorations of the most prominent officer in the foreground, except for the star-shaped one on his right breast; that's the Turkish "War Star", colloquially known in Germany/Austria as the "Eiserner Halbmond" ["Iron Crescent"] or, in English-speaking countries the "Gallipoli Star". Its proper name is Harp Madalyası.

The brown-shirted man in the peaked cap giving the Nazi salute is a Political Leader. His sleeve diamond is the "AO" one for the NSDAP abroad [AO = "Auslandsorganisation"]

Well that changes everything. So he is wearing a Brownshirt similar to this?

And this visor.
    It does appear so, thank you. I honestly thought the collar tab was that of signals. In fact, I still can't see an anchor.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast