Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

SA or SS dagger? take a look at this 1937 NY City Photo

Article about: by youthcollector1 So he is wearing a Brownshirt similar to this? Yes. The last photo on this site...: KARANLI ...was taken at the same occasion. Under enlargement, the anchor devices on the

I believe the uniform is that of a SA Marine, not NSKK. The NSKK Marine were involved with waterways in Germany where the SA Marine were more inclusive including the ocean.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SA or SS dagger? take a look at this 1937 NY City Photo
    P
    Many

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    I believe the uniform is that of a SA Marine, not NSKK. The NSKK Marine were involved with waterways in Germany where the SA Marine were more inclusive including the ocean.
    I agree, now. The first picture was quite distorted, and from what little I could make out, I based my best theory on it. However, now with the new photo HLP provided, it is quite evident the men are of the SA-Marine.
    Again, thank you HLP for the clarification and the additional photograph, that, along with the information you provided was very helpful and informative.
    Thank you as well, Larry, as I learnt more than I've about SA-Marine daggers too prior to this thread. This is certainly a wonderful thread with a ton of educational material, such is a great example of threads you'll find here, and not elsewhere.

?

Interesting pics & info.

Had not seen this thread before, as daggers hardly interested me. Just this week I posted some photos,
    where the SA-dagger, was the central point.

HPL2008 is with some of the posts quite correct.
    The man about whom this started is anyway from the Marine-SA, and in no way NSKK.

The persons with the darker uniform are from the merchant navy, as they do wear (possibly) the
    insignia for the Norddeutscher Lloyd (Bremen) in the middle of their wreath. I tried to figure out
    what ship was there to bring back the coffins to Germany. No luck yet!

The other photo with the many biers, does show more Marine-SA men. On board of merchant navy
    ships they had often a crew, as HPL says "Bordtrupp". It is a pity one can not enlarge the collar patch
    indication, but it will have had the indication for the naval-SA from Hamburg (Marine-Brigade 3, which
    had Marine-Standarte 1 and 3 from Hamburg) or from Marine-Brigade 2, specifically Marine-Standarte
    89 (from Bremen).
    Seafearing party members on board of ships from the German merchant navy were all assigned to
    the office "Amt Seefahrt der AO" (their office was in Hamburg also). The office at Hamburg
    was in 1935 charged with all matters of shipping and navigation at sea. In fact at ships existed further
    the levels Ortsgruppe, Stützpunkt and Zelle.

Luftwaffe will not have attended, as the Deutsche Zeppelin Reederei, had not much in common
    with the German airforce. The bond was with the Deutsche Lufthansa. When the DZL was
    instituted one of the Lufthansa directors, Wronsky, was from then on "on board" of the management
    from DZL.

SA or SS dagger? take a look at this 1937 NY City Photo

The above photo was published in 1992 in my book about the Deutsche Lufthansa (1926-1945).

Quote by Wilhelm Saris View Post
    I tried to figure out
    what ship was there to bring back the coffins to Germany. No luck yet!
    Online sources are contradictory, listing either the Hamburg or the New York (both HAPAG steamers), arriving at Cuxhaven on 21st May, where an official ceremony was held.

HAPAG-Hallen
    Hindenburg - mysticalworlds Jimdo-Page!

HPL2008: thanks. I enlarged the symbol for the cap within the wreath
    and as far this was possible it looks indeed the symbol for HAPAG. Both
    ships (the Hamburg and New York) were located at Hamburg, so the
    SA-Marine men could be from the Hamburg-brigade I mentioned earlier.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5