Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

1 Komp. Reserv. 3.SS Totenkopf St. Thuringen Picture??

Article about: Hello Gentlemen! I recently acquired this great photo of this group. I have been doing some research on this unit, I would love to know the groups thoughts / knowledge on this unit and more

?

Quote by Larry C View Post
    Hi Duff..I reduced your image size by about 50 kb per photo..which automatically spins them to the upright position.
    THANK YOU SO MUCH Larry!! Now I know the "trick!" Much appreciated Sir!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 1 Komp. Reserv. 3.SS Totenkopf St. Thuringen Picture??
    P
    Many

Martin,
    Thank you so much for posting the shoulderboards in post #8. That's the first example of the coloured tresse for the SS-TV shoulderboards I've seen.
    What's your theory on the colour? I thought Brandenburg (2) had the red stripe and Thueringen (3) had gold.
    d'Alquen

F-B might recognize the location, hopefully he will drop by. The fantasy "castle" style with those arched doorways and round windows is typical 1930's Nazi architecture. But where?

?

That is the question, “where?”

I would assume a notable school or training facility that was common for TV members to attend. But, my educated guesses are just that - guesses!

Prost!

Quote by Anderson View Post
    F-B might recognize the location, hopefully he will drop by. The fantasy "castle" style with those arched doorways and round windows is typical 1930's Nazi architecture. But where?

?

Quote by d'alquen View Post
    Martin,
    Thank you so much for posting the shoulderboards in post #8. That's the first example of the coloured tresse for the SS-TV shoulderboards I've seen.
    What's your theory on the colour? I thought Brandenburg (2) had the red stripe and Thueringen (3) had gold.
    d'Alquen
    That's correct - and White was for Oberbayern.

Quote by d'alquen View Post
    Quote by MM1985 View Post
    That's correct - and White was for Oberbayern.
    That's not surprising, actually: This means that they followed the same color system as the army used (for example on Troddeln) for identifying units...:

- White = 1st Coy./Bn.
    - Red = 2nd Coy./Bn.
    - Yellow = 3rd Coy. /Bn.
    - Blue = 4th Coy./Bn.
    - Green = 5th Coy./Bn.

...starting again with white for the 6th etc.

A bit of trivia: Generations of German soldiers learned this sequence (weiß - rot - gelb -blau- grün) by memorizing the sentence "Wir rauchen gern billig und gut " ["We like to have cheap and good smokes"].

Thank you HPL for that trivia. The version I was aware of was: "Wir Rauchen Gerne Brasil" (We like to smoke tobacco from Brazil).
    The reason I queried the Weitze shoulderboards was, if the tresse is original to the board, why red for the 3rd standarte? It seems such an obscure aspect of insignia for fakery.

The answer to my own query is probably blindingly obvious. With the numeral already identifying the Standarte then the tresse was being used to identify which of the 3 sturmbanne the wearer belonged to.

Location, it was the Bismarckturm close to Weimar.
    When the KL Buchenwald was build the tower was close by as it was build on the Ettersberg (mountain).
    The DDR regime busted secretly this tower 1949 about its close KL location.

It makes sense, those people where from the KL Buchenwald.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1 Komp. Reserv. 3.SS Totenkopf St. Thuringen Picture??   1 Komp. Reserv. 3.SS Totenkopf St. Thuringen Picture??  

Well done Robert.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast