Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

89 Standarte Tunic

Article about: Hi Gents, Waiting in anticipation for this to arrive , I'll share more then Regards, Grant

Default 89 Standarte Tunic

89 Standarte Tunic89 Standarte TunicHi Gents,

Waiting in anticipation for this to arrive , I'll share more then

Regards,

Grant

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 89 Standarte Tunic
    P
    Many

Default Re: 89 Standarte Tunic

89 Standarte TunicThanks. I believe I saw this piece offered. Here is the honor cuff title of this unit, one of the SS men who assassinated Dolfuss in the summer of 1934, and was himself, in turn executed by the Staendestaat. The name was awarded once Austria was absorbed into the Reich in March 1938.

89 Standarte TunicHere is a not dissimilar honor cuff title for the Duesseldorf Standarte. This is from the collection of our own colleague Hritz.

Thanks FB, the tunic appears to be in beautiful condition but without the honor title.

Kind regards,

Grant.

Thanks. We look forward to more images and all the best, FB

Thanks again FB, I'm glad you knew of this tunic and chose not to acquire it, at least I wont feel I'm depriving you of something you so richly deserve. I cannot thank you enough for the advice, knowledge and recommendations you have so unselfishly shared with myself and others, without which I would have never dared purchase such items.

Kindest regards,

Grant.

I was speaking to an Austrian friend about Holzweber , he explained to me that Holz / Wood means "rage", I have also read that the 89th Standarte had an honor title - " Wood Weber" in addition to "Holzweber"

Quote by greimers View Post
    I was speaking to an Austrian friend about Holzweber , he explained to me that Holz / Wood means "rage", I have also read that the 89th Standarte had an honor title - " Wood Weber" in addition to "Holzweber"
    Certainly not.

As Friedrich-Berthold already pointed out, the 89th Standarte was named after Franz Holzweber, an Austrian SS member executed for his role in the Dollfuss assassination/failed Nazi coup of July 1934.

No additional/alternate honor titles existed for this unit and the nonsensical "Wood Weber" is simply a semi-translation of Holzweber's name into English.

[I do not know whether "Holz" = "wood" also has an additional meaning as "rage" in Austrian/Viennese dialect, but this is not relevant here anyway.]

'Weber' means 'weaver' in English. His last name, translated literally, would be Franz 'Woodweaver'. The only significance of his name is the fact that it resembles an aspect of his ancestry. It's a very German name for sure.

Anthroponymy is a really interesting field, and one of my favorites. The Germans and Britons of old loved to make their surnames very complicated and specific.

Thank you, I have researched this Unit / Standarte not only because of it's Dolfuss association but also because of the infamy so many of it's members later attained. I was surprised to have read that the honor title in one document ( which I will try to find and provide) was described as "Wood Weber" . This is exactly why I asked my Austrian friend if I was missing something as all other documents noted the honor title as "HolzWeber"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast