Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Allg/SS Officers Visor

Article about: by mgalat I'm glad to finally be in the realm of foetid woolens FB..There is nothing like holding the real thing...If only they could talk!! Ben...This visor took 2 weeks to make the journey

Default Re: Allg/SS Officers Visor

Very nice visor! I wish I owned one like yours

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Allg/SS Officers Visor
    P
    Many

?

Ben..it does have an RZM tag under the sweatband and the Hersteller Number is 143..August Mueller.
    I've got more pics.
    Allg/SS Officers Visor
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Allg/SS Officers Visor   Allg/SS Officers Visor  

Allg/SS Officers Visor  

?

Nice Pick up Murray you can be proud of that one ,where did you get it from if you dont mind me asking

Greg

thanks for posting some more pics mgalat !

?

Thanks Greg...the visor is from Peter Jenkins.

Quote by mgalat View Post
    Thanks Greg...the visor is from Peter Jenkins.
    An excellent source for original material.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Quote by mgalat View Post
    Ben..it does have an RZM tag under the sweatband and the Hersteller Number is 143..August Mueller.
    Ah ha, another prolific maker of these caps.

Stunning piece and difficult to find a better one. Congrats!

?

Thanks Ben

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    The majority of the Allgemeine SS were part timers and likely only owned a black uniform. Higher ranks and full time members would wear a gray uniform for work. I have a gray open collar Allgemeine Gruppenfuhrer tunic.
    Ofcourse that's not true. it was no carnival club! The main reason way people joined the SS was to give an impulse to their carreer, not because they like the collor black! e.g. many policemen joined the Alg. SS (membership), and it's was very common that they didn't owned a black tunic at all!

In mid 1942 the Black tunic's dissapared because they were no longer needed. Beside of that, the grey tunic gives it a Military status instead of a Political! (Don't forget that the Waffen-SS has to replace the Army in time!) So later on they prefer the grey collor! The main differences between Alg.SS and W.SS grey tunics was the type of collar. Open collar, like yours, for All. and Armystyle collar for Waffen-SS.
    Later on in the war it was even not cool to wear an open collar, because of the non combat-status! And police units etc. wear even a high closed collar like the Waffen-SS!

Quote by Westland View Post
    Ofcourse that's not true. it was no carnival club! The main reason way people joined the SS was to give an impulse to their carreer, not because they like the collor black! e.g. many policemen joined the Alg. SS (membership), and it's was very common that they didn't owned a black tunic at all!

In mid 1942 the Black tunic's dissapared because they were no longer needed. Beside of that, the grey tunic gives it a Military status instead of a Political! (Don't forget that the Waffen-SS has to replace the Army in time!) So later on they prefer the grey collor! The main differences between Alg.SS and W.SS grey tunics was the type of collar. Open collar, like yours, for All. and Armystyle collar for Waffen-SS.
    Later on in the war it was even not cool to wear an open collar, because of the non combat-status! And police units etc. wear even a high closed collar like the Waffen-SS!
    Do let me in turn correct the mis impression in the above response to Bob Coleman. In fact, most Allgemeine SS persons were part time. If you look in the rank lists, you can see the Staerke Nachweis positions with a full time billet, and these were few. Second, the black uniform remained in use almost to the very end on a limited scale. The full time persons may or may not have received a grey uniform, but the bulk of persons, to the extent they were still in the Allgemeine SS, wore black. The idea that the black uniform was abolished in 1942 is simply a huge error. We have threads on this subject here at length. I cannot comment on those in the German police with SS rank, though I own the uniform of a Gestapo man who surely did own a black SS uniform. Bob Hritz and Bob Coleman have seen it, and here is the cuff with the SD rhombus. I am done with a life on this site, by the way, but I cannot let the above ahistorical statements operate. Black SS caps were worn by all branches of the SS. though the black uniform was limited in wartime for the SS at arms, the internal security, and the headquarters echelons in their variety.Allg/SS Officers Visor

It is also true that all concerned wanted a military style uniform as a badge of honor, but the visual evidence of the black uniform in wear after the start of the war and into late 1944 is pretty comprehensive if you look for it.

PS The Mueller cap bought by the colleague in Australia is a marvelous piece. Jenkins has very nice things for sale. What goes unremarked is that Mueller was A 2, i.e. a Muetzenmacher, that is, I guess an artisan works versus Wagner or Lubstein or others that were on a mechanized basis. Many of these Sonderanfertigung caps were made by Mueller, both for officer and other ranks. The Sonderanfertigung cap, at least in the view of Saris, was phased out ca. 1936, though I think the piece here is more or less from the next year, but I cannot say. In any case, these officers' caps with the silken or rayon lining and runes and the black RFSS tag are very nice. I assume that the Mueller people had some deal with the RZM and the SS retail branch therein as it evolved into the Kleiderkasse SS. All these esoteric and arcane details concern a handful of us, but they are not without their moment. I was just in said place, i.e. Muenchen, and found no hats of this type for sale. I bought a Bavarian Trachten coat at Adalbert Breiter, though.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 06-13-2011 at 04:19 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast