Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Allgemeine SS em cap opinions

Article about: You are correct FB. It's quite boring to have to go over the same old ground with the same old characters time and time again.

?

Default Re: Allgemeine SS em cap opinions

You are correct FB. It's quite boring to have to go over the same old ground with the same old characters time and time again.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Allgemeine SS em cap opinions
    P
    Many

?

That thread is an experiment in social psychology in action. It's the human condition in all its splendor. Faith, trust, loyalty and greed intertwining in all their splendor.

Seriously it's been very informative. I pray no one dares purchase it.

Quote by Tricot View Post
    That thread is an experiment in social psychology in action. It's the human condition in all its splendor. Faith, trust, loyalty and greed intertwining in all their splendor.

Seriously it's been very informative. I pray no one dares purchase it.
    When levied against the labor of the lords of the flies, the work of this lot here is always more informative by far. As concerns the manufacture or crafting of this white crowned cap from an authentic cap, greed is the principal motivation. Marred, in turn, by half knowledge of the truth; that is, the fakers always make mistakes some of us can easily see. Sadly, however, we are furnishing the fakers with more and more knowledge to our collective detriment.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 07-18-2010 at 08:52 PM.

This cap appeared on the controversial site today where resides the dorky white cap. If this here is a fake, then I give up. I make no assessment via this medium.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Allgemeine SS em cap opinions  

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    Sadly, however, we are furnishing the fakers with more and more knowledge to our collective detriment.
    Goethe said, "a clever man commits no minor blunders".

A certain apprehension over the dissemination of knowledge as conducive to fake junk proliferation is well founded and I think you are not off base to have regrets or ill feelings over adverse effects.

But we the good, honest collectors value the necessary contributions of clever men such as yourself and I truly believe your shared knowledge has done more good than it has done harm. The learning process for these relics in this way is regrettably a nearly unavoidable double-edged sword. I think for every petty faker aided by your counsel an honest collector will have learned a valuable lot. In this way it's my optimistic view that as a whole the good guys will always be a step ahead of the bad guys.

We thank you for your presence here.

Happy hats.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Allgemeine SS em cap opinions  
    Attached Images Attached Images Allgemeine SS em cap opinions  Allgemeine SS em cap opinions  Allgemeine SS em cap opinions  Allgemeine SS em cap opinions  Allgemeine SS em cap opinions 

?

I concur with all this. If everyone took advantage of the lessons in this forum, the fakers would be soon out of business.

The issue is the double edged nature of this knowledge. Guilds and Masons have solved this very issue with tests and initiations. Obviously impractical for old hats.

As these hats are no longer made, the manufacturers can't add modern features such as colored threads, watermarks and holograms. For which I am grateful.

Sadly a truly comprehensive, forensic and scholarly work on old hats would do more harm than good. I would buy it. So would our enemies.

Please do not let any of these concerns stop the flow of fascinating historical research and context. There is no faking of a Holter's receipt or the UM issues. Let's use this forum to leverage knowledge of this type. Maybe specific tells of visor construction need a closer hold.

Quote by locloc08 View Post

A certain apprehension over the dissemination of knowledge as conducive to fake junk proliferation is well founded and I think you are not off base to have regrets or ill feelings over adverse effects.

But we the good, honest collectors value the necessary contributions of clever men such as yourself and I truly believe your shared knowledge has done more good than it has done harm. The learning process for these relics in this way is regrettably a nearly unavoidable double-edged sword. I think for every petty faker aided by your counsel an honest collector will have learned a valuable lot. In this way it's my optimistic view that as a whole the good guys will always be a step ahead of the bad guys.

Happy hats.

Quote by locloc08 View Post

Happy hats.
    Thank you for the Goethe quote, picture of the master, as well as the Wagner cap. I appreciate the kind thoughts, indeed.

That Wagner is available on a British site for a very nice price. Perhaps the best opportunity I would have. Maybe some night I will make myself several whiskey sours and...

?

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    This cap appeared on the controversial site today where resides the dorky white cap. If this here is a fake, then I give up. I make no assessment via this medium.
    But FB, it's too round!

Seriously though, the only concern I had was that the tag looked very large in proportion to the cap itself although I can see no issue with the authenticity of the tag itself.

I have to say I'm not so keen on this example though.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Allgemeine SS em cap opinions   Allgemeine SS em cap opinions  

Allgemeine SS em cap opinions   Allgemeine SS em cap opinions  

Allgemeine SS em cap opinions  

sorry but i dont like the "whiskers" on the white piping...reminds me of the Janke examples..

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast