Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Allgemeine-SS enlisted/nco's visor caps/ WHICH DO YOU LIKE?

Article about: Which one do you want and why?

?

Default Re: Allgemeine-SS enlisted/nco's visor caps/ WHICH DO YOU LIKE?

Which one do you want and why?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Allgemeine-SS enlisted/nco's visor caps/ WHICH DO YOU LIKE?
    P
    Many

I honestly don't love either, actually, just what I can currently find. No matter how early or not produced, I would really prefer one with the name still intact I collect purely for historical reasons. Such is why I prefer documents over cloth items. That said, if either still retained the name tag I'd choose it as not only does it give it "personality" but allows me to follow up with a research"project". Anyways, thanks for asking Ben. In a sense I am still very new to collecting, and truly have lots and lots to learn.
    Last edited by youthcollector1; 12-28-2013 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Capitalization/Wording

FB, I saw some of your collection... absolutely amazing. I can only hope in 30 years I have half of what you have. Question: ever think of opening a museum? Also, I can tell you have done plenty of research and am just wondering what all have you done? Have you ever published any books I could purchase? Thank you for all your contributions here, I hope to learn from you someday.
    Last edited by youthcollector1; 12-28-2013 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Wording

?

I ask because everyone has different reasons for wanting these things. Your reasons are sound and more interesting than most.
    These black caps by their very nature are devoid of any personality unless of course you find one with a legit name tag.
    I would suggest you wait for one with said ID and prehaps some other documentation.

Thank you very much Ben. Sound advise, honestly sometimes I just want something so bad I settle for the first example I find. I guess it's the youth in me.
    Last edited by youthcollector1; 12-28-2013 at 11:11 AM.

Allgemeine-SS enlisted/nco's visor caps/ WHICH DO YOU LIKE?Allgemeine-SS enlisted/nco's visor caps/ WHICH DO YOU LIKE?Allgemeine-SS enlisted/nco's visor caps/ WHICH DO YOU LIKE?Allgemeine-SS enlisted/nco's visor caps/ WHICH DO YOU LIKE?Allgemeine-SS enlisted/nco's visor caps/ WHICH DO YOU LIKE?Allgemeine-SS enlisted/nco's visor caps/ WHICH DO YOU LIKE?Allgemeine-SS enlisted/nco's visor caps/ WHICH DO YOU LIKE?Allgemeine-SS enlisted/nco's visor caps/ WHICH DO YOU LIKE?Allgemeine-SS enlisted/nco's visor caps/ WHICH DO YOU LIKE?Allgemeine-SS enlisted/nco's visor caps/ WHICH DO YOU LIKE?Allgemeine-SS enlisted/nco's visor caps/ WHICH DO YOU LIKE?Allgemeine-SS enlisted/nco's visor caps/ WHICH DO YOU LIKE?Allgemeine-SS enlisted/nco's visor caps/ WHICH DO YOU LIKE?Allgemeine-SS enlisted/nco's visor caps/ WHICH DO YOU LIKE?Allgemeine-SS enlisted/nco's visor caps/ WHICH DO YOU LIKE?Allgemeine-SS enlisted/nco's visor caps/ WHICH DO YOU LIKE?Allgemeine-SS enlisted/nco's visor caps/ WHICH DO YOU LIKE?Allgemeine-SS enlisted/nco's visor caps/ WHICH DO YOU LIKE?Allgemeine-SS enlisted/nco's visor caps/ WHICH DO YOU LIKE?Allgemeine-SS enlisted/nco's visor caps/ WHICH DO YOU LIKE?
    Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    Thank you FB for saving me the time of explaining that black does not always equal Allgemeine. At times it becomes frustrating to continually post the same correction.
    Immer zu Diensten.

- - Updated - -

Quote by youthcollector1 View Post
    FB saw some of your collection...amazing. I hope in 30 years I have half of what you have. Ever think of opening a museum? also, I can tell you done your research and just wondering what all have you done? wrote any books I could checkout. What all did you do to gather all this knowledge? thanks
    I have more than one item of this type and devoted more than the average effort to the subject.

Thank you all for your help. I see FB the expert now. Thank you so much FB
    You are welcome. Others here know more than I do, to be sure.

?

I honestly don't love either, just what I can find.
    I understand the enthusiasm, but these things are around. Do not settle. A collection of a few outstanding pieces will always be more interesting and retain more value than a bulk collection of average pieces.

The insignia on these caps are removed and changed like hubcaps (sadly). The Collector's Guild visor is the more interesting and rarer piece. Not the cloth tag and the "tellerform" shape (shaped like a flat plate). The other visor, although with an eagle is the latter form. There are orders and regulations that dictate the subtle changes in this headgear over time. As someone interested in the paper side of things, you will discover that understanding the changing regulations and how they affected the uniforms of the day adds an entirely new dimension to collecting.

There are some World class collectors on this board (not me I'm still green). If they see you making an effort you will be rewarded with knowledge.

It's a long climb. Take your time.
    Last edited by Tricot; 08-23-2012 at 06:02 AM.

All I can say is: I'm sure glad I discovered this forum. It has opened my eyes to a level of collecting I didn't even know existed. I am currently taking my free time and searching past post, hope to discover to knowledge you all have submitted in the past. I know I've said it too many times, probably, but thank you all for your helpful prior post, items a lot. However, please forgive me if in the future I ask something periously stated in a prior thread or something I've directly been told, lots of informations to retain in a short period of time and I may make some mistakes along the way, it will surely take time.
    C.
    Last edited by youthcollector1; 12-28-2013 at 11:16 AM.

Allgemeine-SS enlisted/nco's visor caps/ WHICH DO YOU LIKE?Allgemeine-SS enlisted/nco's visor caps/ WHICH DO YOU LIKE?Allgemeine-SS enlisted/nco's visor caps/ WHICH DO YOU LIKE?Allgemeine-SS enlisted/nco's visor caps/ WHICH DO YOU LIKE?Allgemeine-SS enlisted/nco's visor caps/ WHICH DO YOU LIKE?Allgemeine-SS enlisted/nco's visor caps/ WHICH DO YOU LIKE?Allgemeine-SS enlisted/nco's visor caps/ WHICH DO YOU LIKE?
    Quote by BenVK View Post
    Personally, I would choose the earlier hat made from the melton type wool fabric and the cupal or tombak TK with it's neusilber finish which is very attractive. The other hat is not particularly remarkable IMO.
    I agree. The post 1936 or 1937 cap is more easily found, has its own poetry, to be sure, but the 1935 and earlier cap, as on the Whammond site, has always interested me for its inherent traits, its rarity, and its variety, as it is less standardized.

The melton cloth, or Tuch, was phased out in the course of 1935 for Trikot, likely because the latter was more hard wearing, I think. I say this because of the trikot items I own, coats and pants, which really are very durable.

In any case, Whammond and Herman are sound sources for this material, to be sure.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast