Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Allgemeine SS Field Grey Tunic

Article about: Hello, I was wondering if anyone could please shed some light on these stamps. This is a field grey Allgemeine SS tunic. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you, George

Default Re: Allgemeine SS Field Grey Tunic

As regards the "3," military uniforms were marked with a series of numerals, usually roman, as to the so called Garnituren, i.e. pieces of uniform suited for the many orders of dress employed for various situations: i.e. Meldeanzug et cetera. The pieces in the best condition were "I" as in the so called "erste Garnitur," whereas pieces in lesser condition were so marked.

I am less at home with such markings, as they tend to be found in military uniforms, but the SS otherwise usually copied most of these customs and habits.

The RFSS also had a large troop contingent, i.e. HQ elements as well as its own Sturmbann, or more (see the Orgbuch) which might have had issued uniforms with such Garnitur stampings. But I am out of my depth with this issue.
    Attached Images Attached Images Allgemeine SS Field Grey Tunic 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Allgemeine SS Field Grey Tunic
    P
    Many

I misspoke above, the Sturmbann was in the SS Hauptamt. See the org chart below at the bottom.
    This chart is from the Orgbuch of the 1937 printing. Of course, this Schema changed continually in the further years of the regime.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Allgemeine SS Field Grey Tunic  

dukhunter
    ?

Thank you very much, F-B, for the information. I appreciate it.

I understand the pitfalls of collecting SS tunics and the fakery that goes on in the catagory. I, good or bad, am fascinated by these pieces, so am willing to take the risk, albeit a calculated risk, when purchasing such items. I make an effort to do my homework prior to striking a deal but even so there is that element of doubt. In spite of that, I do enjoy the hobby.

Thank you,
    George

Quote by dukhunter View Post
    Thank you very much, F-B, for the information. I appreciate it.

I understand the pitfalls of collecting SS tunics and the fakery that goes on in the catagory. I, good or bad, am fascinated by these pieces, so am willing to take the risk, albeit a calculated risk, when purchasing such items. I make an effort to do my homework prior to striking a deal but even so there is that element of doubt. In spite of that, I do enjoy the hobby.

Thank you,
    George
    Good luck with your collecting. I have shared your interest, though I have never described mine as a hobby, but more as a calling or a preoccupation. But then I am a professional historian, and Uniformkunde is seen in Germany as an adjunct aspect of scholarship, anyway.

One can never know enough, and the way we put forward knowledge has also empowered the fakers to improve their handicraft, which I regret.

These internet sites have also collided with their limits, too, as concerns the sharing of knowledge, since the misbehavior connected with them in the 21st century (digital lynch mob syndrome and the web site dogmatist and blow hard affliction) are driving away certain personages necessary to keep the enterprise on the march.

Happy foetid textiles.

PS this image is not mine.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Allgemeine SS Field Grey Tunic  

This foetid textile is mine, and came from a fine Midwestern collection after its miraculous discovery in a hidden nook and cranny. The man must have sat on his dagger at some SS Fest and ripped out his "D" ring. The very thought of the thing.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Allgemeine SS Field Grey Tunic   Allgemeine SS Field Grey Tunic  

dukhunter
    ?

Hi F-B,

Thank you very much for all your input and images provided. I do appreciate it.

One of these years I'll be hanging my spurs up and then maybe I can take my hobby to the next level when time is not at a premium.

Thank you,
    George

With apologies to my fine colleague Peter Whamond, I have pinched an image from his website to elucidate my point on sizes of uniforms. His website is a real treasure trove of marvelous things and stands out beyond the rest.

These are Schablonen, i.e. patterns for SA uniforms.

Note the size markings.

Happy foetid woolens.

Who has this similar thingy for the SS?

Who has the full set of RZM publications in their number?

Who even knows of such a thing?

sapere aude.

At the risk of being didactic, our readers do not get this level of knowledge on other websites, do they?

dukhunter
    ?

F-B, you are right. Other forums have certainly not provided the depth of information that one finds here. You, especially, are very generous with your time and extremely knowledgeable. Thank you again for your help.

Thank you,
    George

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    At the risk of being didactic, our readers do not get this level of knowledge on other websites, do they?
    No, we certainly do not. Hence the difficulty leaving this site once on it!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast