Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Allgemeine SS men in Berlin, 1936-1939

Article about: I think the Hindenburg image shows an SS guard. D.

Default Re: Allgemeine SS men in Berlin, 1936-1939

I wonder if Goring and Hindenberg in picture #7 are not in fact reviewing members of Goring's private guard "Abt. Wecke z.b.V." instead of an SS unit? Prussian Minister President Goring is dressed in suit accompanying the Reich President Hindenberg, do the honor guard should be Prussian/police oriented, no NSDAP/SS. Photo time is most likely late summer 1933? Why would they review a unit of the SS fully armed with S98/05 and K98a? The portion of arm/tunic and trouser on the far left would be a member of the Prussian Schupo. You can see a Schupo officer shako over Goring's shoulder and I believe that is Wecke in the background between Goring and Hindenberg dressed for the parade with medal bar and helmet.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Allgemeine SS men in Berlin, 1936-1939
    P
    Many

smithsan
    ?

Leading this security dominated resurgence of German Nationalism, under the eyes and dominance of their Führer, were the security executives, the mandarins of the Party: SS Heinrich Himmler and SS-Obergruppenführer Reinhardt Heydrich (HHE). These two men held the reigns of the Nazi Party's destiny, which was dominated by a web of internal security departments.
    --------
    smithsan
    evangelist

Quote by Poloberst View Post
    I wonder if Goring and Hindenberg in picture #7 are not in fact reviewing members of Goring's private guard "Abt. Wecke z.b.V." instead of an SS unit? Prussian Minister President Goring is dressed in suit accompanying the Reich President Hindenberg, do the honor guard should be Prussian/police oriented, no NSDAP/SS. Photo time is most likely late summer 1933? Why would they review a unit of the SS fully armed with S98/05 and K98a? The portion of arm/tunic and trouser on the far left would be a member of the Prussian Schupo. You can see a Schupo officer shako over Goring's shoulder and I believe that is Wecke in the background between Goring and Hindenberg dressed for the parade with medal bar and helmet.
    Thanks for the learned response. The caption is no help. I am aware of Goering's personal guard in this early period in Prussia, but the uniform struck me as an open collar one. The image is supposed to be at Tempelhof field in Berlin.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 09-01-2008 at 05:20 PM.

michal
    ?

Default Re: Allgemeine SS men, 1936-1939

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    A review in so. Germany....perhaps Munich, at a Kreistag review. 11. X. 1936
    It is in Munich. In the car is saluting gauleiter Adolf Wagner and behind him is HSSPF SS-obergruppenfuehrer Karl von Eberstein.
    Michal
    Last edited by michal; 09-01-2008 at 05:40 PM.

I am amused that the Bavarian state library digitalizes its images on the Bilarchiv preussischer Kulturbesitz website. Others here should share their images, too, after all. Uniformkunde of the SS requires the close study of such photos, which are now at hand in a way that was unimaginable a decade ago.

michal
    ?

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    Himmler inspects SS units shortly before the 30 June 1934 Roehm Putsch...so says the picture caption...but sharper eyes can distinguish more clearly the date of this image granted Heini Himmler's collar patches.
    SS-gruppenfuehrer is Heinrich Schmauser and SS-standartenfuehrer is Karl Wolff.

Michal

Michal is correct. The October review of the party formations took place on Ludwigstrasse in Munich. Here is another view showing von Eberstein.
    D.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Allgemeine SS men in Berlin, 1936-1939  

Another view.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Allgemeine SS men in Berlin, 1936-1939  

Closer shot of von Eberstein.

Thanks to all for the clarification. You should offer your services to the caption writers in Berlin and Munich.

The Munich images are quite enlightening.

What says colleague d'alquen to the image of Goering and Hindenburg at Tempelhof in 1933 or so?

Can these uniforms so depicted be of his police body guard, I assume as Minister President of Prussia?

Thanks to all for the learned debate. Such is our goal here, after all.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast