Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Allgemeine-SS shoulderboard for the rank group SS-Brigadefuhrer through Reichsfuhrer-SS

Article about: Thanks to David Delich for his magisterial support of our site, and thanks, of course, to Bob Coleman. We have a hard core and hard corps of stalwarts here who make this site useful and impo

Default Allgemeine-SS shoulderboard for the rank group SS-Brigadefuhrer through Reichsfuhrer-SS

Hi, I had a question concerning the Allgemeine-SS shoulderboard for general officers. The version that I am most familar with is the one that came out in October 1933 and consisted of three interwoven aluminum twisted cords, with the middle cord showing a reverse twist.

However, I am looking into the one that appeared before this style. I believe it was worn briefly (if it was worn at all) from May 1933 to October 1933 before the above change took place. This earlier version was made up of two interwoven twisted cords, one gold and one aluminum on a black cloth backing.

There is a picture of this shoulderboard in "Leibstandarte SS Adolf Hitler, Volume 1" (1st edition), by Stan Cook and R. James Bender (page 267). It further states that it was worn specifcially by Sepp Dietrich during this time.

Can anyone provide more details on this shoulderboard, or provide additional photos of it? From the description it almost sounds similar the SA version, but that one had two interwoven gold and silver twist cords (as shown in "Cloth Insignia of the NSDAP and SA" (1st edition) by John Angolia (page 205)

I know it is probably a long shot, but I figured I'd give it a try.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Allgemeine-SS shoulderboard for the rank group SS-Brigadefuhrer through Reichsfuhrer-SS
    P
    Many

Pictures would help. Is this the pattern you are referring to?

Allgemeine-SS shoulderboard for the rank group SS-Brigadefuhrer through Reichsfuhrer-SS
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Hi Bob. I apologize for not posting pics, but I did not have the books handy and just wanted to get the question out. Your picture is a bit blurry, but from what I can make out, it appears to have three twisted cords all of the same color. The one that I am referring to would have two twisted cords (one in gold and the other in aluminum) that came out before this style was introduced.

The question concerns a very early variant of this insignia, of which I have never seen a real example. There are illustrations of same in early NSDAP publications on badges, insignia and uniforms of the SA and SS.

I will send this post to Delich and ask him, in turn.

Yes, exactly. I believe that it was worn only from May to October 1933. Thanks for your help!

These are also faked, by the way, whereby one has to be aware of said fact.

I doubt that any original exists, such all being blown to kingdom come, but I could be wrong.

The other piece is that very early, i.e. pre 1934 or so SA and SS insignia often had silver versus alu wire embroidery.

Such silver wire insignia was typical of the old armies and the Reichswehr.

Bob Coleman would know it all far better than I, but I do have some items of silver wire, which tarnishes.

Indeed, it was abandoned because of its difficult maintenance and because the alu. was modern, technological and whatever in the streamlined, art deco 1930s.

To our dismay, of course, alu wire also biodegrades into a horrid white powder.

Here friends, and you won't find such service on the other-collector-lore-gun show wisdom- come on down to that big, smelly paranoia mongering websites...

David Delich says:

"...Yes, they do exist. I have several of them -- both
    sew-in and also removable. The pattern is, as one
    of your members described. It is made up of three
    twist cords, but note that the center cord is of a
    different type bullion, and the strands twist in the
    opposite direction. The second picture is of the
    same type general officer's strap, but with the three
    leaf silvered cypher denoting Himmler's rank. There
    are many examples of this strap out there. I have
    several more on general's tunics.

As long as we are speaking of H.H., I thought I
    would throw in a pic of his collar patch..."
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Allgemeine-SS shoulderboard for the rank group SS-Brigadefuhrer through Reichsfuhrer-SS   Allgemeine-SS shoulderboard for the rank group SS-Brigadefuhrer through Reichsfuhrer-SS  

Attached Images Attached Images Allgemeine-SS shoulderboard for the rank group SS-Brigadefuhrer through Reichsfuhrer-SS 

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast