Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Allgemiene SS NCO Visor for Analysis

Article about: Some one should ask him, don't you think? Maybe the document there on the desk in the Prinz Albrechtstrasse is the Rosetta stone of "scull" makers so sought by inquiring minds in t

?

Default Allgemiene SS NCO Visor for Analysis

Here is a visor. That may be obvious from the pictures. My question is this: is this a period visor? I am less concerned about the insignia than the construction, labels and details. All thoughts welcome. I do not own it. I am not buying it. I welcome the knowledge I may attain. These are the best images I have. I wish I had better.

Thank you.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Allgemiene SS NCO Visor for Analysis   Allgemiene SS NCO Visor for Analysis  

Allgemiene SS NCO Visor for Analysis   Allgemiene SS NCO Visor for Analysis  

Allgemiene SS NCO Visor for Analysis  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Allgemiene SS NCO Visor for Analysis
    P
    Many

Default Re: Allgemiene SS NCO Visor for Analysis

Yours is a Sonderanfertigung enlisted cap for the era until about 1938, at which time (more or less....mostly more...) the RFSS tag was phased out. The cap is authentic and quite nice. Notice that the cap also has a non leather sweat band, which is also of no account, but merely the nature of things.

I think it is a Mueller/Muenchen piece, and this has been on the sites for awhile.

My very first cap forty years ago was quite similar to this.

The Sonderanfertigung pieces are more rare, i.e. the personal wear or extra wear cap for nice orders of dress.

Happy foetid woolens

Fake black caps have become much more refined, not the least as collateral damage to the work of myself and others over the years, which is some consolation, I guess. Such further darkens the horizon for the beginning collector. Such is the cussed 21st century.
    Wm. Saris whom I greatly esteem dates these caps along with the major types used by the NSDAP. The trikot cap cover was introduced more or less in 1935. The private wear caps were made of better textiles. As they were intended for extra orders of dress, they have survived somehow, but even that is a miracle considering that most of this regalia was destroyed after the war because it was highly incriminating to its owners.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 06-04-2010 at 02:25 AM.

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    Yours is a Sonderanfertigung enlisted cap for the era until about 1938, at which time (more or less....mostly more...) the RFSS tag was phased out. The cap is authentic and quite nice. Notice that the cap also has a non leather sweat band, which is also of no account, but merely the nature of things.

I think it is a Mueller/Muenchen piece, and this has been on the sites for awhile.

The Sonderanfertigung pieces are more rare, i.e. the personal wear or extra wear cap for nice orders of dress.

Happy foetid woolens

Fake black caps have become much more refined, not the least as collateral damage to the work of myself and others over the years, which is some consolation, I guess. Such further darkens the horizon for the beginning collector. Such is the cussed 21st century.
    It's not all that bad, Friedrich,

We have you and Bob, plus a few others to thank for helping to recognize and preserve these 'foetid woolens' for future generations............
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    It's not all that bad, Friedrich,

We have you and Bob, plus a few others to thank for helping to recognize and preserve these 'foetid woolens' for future generations............
    Thanks, dear colleague, I am glad to be of aid. But what with terrorism and internet viruses and the traps laid for us by whomever with these threads and such, all of it is akin to rolling the rock up the hill just to see it fall again. The preservation and care of the objects of the past is a pretty important role, to be sure. It never ceases to interest me why we all care as much about it as we do...

When I bought my first cap, of course, I had no idea what a Sonderanfertigung was or where Mueller of Muenchen was, either, surely.

Happy foetid and or fetid woolens.

And happy 'sculls' to you to ............... !
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    And happy 'sculls' to you to ............... !
    My most favorite word in the whole wide world! Danke vielmals!

The insignia on this cap are original and have a nice patina.

Woe to him who pries off the insignia and spoils same in search of the magic RZM codes.

I imagine the insignia were made in Munich, too, probably.

Happy prongs and crimps.

?

Thank you for the cogent analysis. The more I learn of these items the less I know.

Are the orange oil cloth depot versions of these visors commonly faked? Is there an ilk of NCO visor more likely to be of fraudulent essence?

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post

Happy foetid woolens

Wm. Saris whom I greatly esteem dates these caps along with the major types used by the NSDAP. The trikot cap cover was introduced more or less in 1935. The private wear caps were made of better textiles. As they were intended for extra orders of dress, they have survived somehow, but even that is a miracle considering that most of this regalia was destroyed after the war because it was highly incriminating to its owners.

And, dear readers, even in these somewhat impressionistic and gauzy images, the searching eye can see that the piping was executed in a masterly way by hands practiced in such craft.

The new fakes are all dorked up with this feature in a way that defies all the efforts of the creepy, underhanded scum to pollute our souls.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Allgemiene SS NCO Visor for Analysis  

Quote by Tricot View Post
    Thank you for the cogent analysis. The more I learn of these items the less I know.

Are the orange oil cloth depot versions of these visors commonly faked? Is there an ilk of NCO visor more likely to be of fraudulent essence?
    They are all faked. The ones with the orange cotton lining have improved greatly in quality in ways I won't explain here. But none of the fakes is spot on, so you are enjoined to have and hold the real pieces and the problem becomes less severe. This piece here was either with Maederer or the Oak Leaf person, and though I have not examined it in person, it is quite real. The electric pictures are a trap and the jumbled skein of threads in their dizzying number are scarcely linear, really.

The caps with the orange cotton lining are more common than the private wear types. We all do not really know very much, so this state of affairs is our common property.

Does someone else have an opinion of this piece? Surely others have something of merit to add here other than myself?

There is always more to learn to be sure.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Allgemiene SS NCO Visor for Analysis  

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast