Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Another great ebay visor cap

Article about: Nice Runes !

?

Default Another great ebay visor cap

Not mine unfortunately the owner is a member of WAF who would appreciate more comments. The badges are clunkers of course but as he says:

"i bought this cap from ebay about 6 years ago,it came with no insignia except an army wreath pinned on?,i purchased and put the insignia on later,the sellar was in canada and the cap was pulled by ebay as the seller had a picture of the runes on there, i then purchased the cap from the seller privatley"
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Another great ebay visor cap   Another great ebay visor cap  

Another great ebay visor cap   Another great ebay visor cap  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Another great ebay visor cap
    P
    Many

Default Re: Another great ebay visor cap

Fantastic find !

rgds, Ty

?

good spot, hard to find

A very nice early SS-VT or Totenkopfverbande officer's cap.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Looks to be an early cap, and quite rare with the SS runes inside.

Would this be classed as late VT, but pre war? Just goes to show that there are things out there. A nice cap, if that is the word

Thanks for showing us. These original grey caps with the runes do exist and do appear very infrequently. It was originally an enlisted cap, of course. But is is authentic and well worth looking at carefully. The thing has the proper patina and is not, as near as I can tell, made of parts. On the contrary...the thing is organic and merely missing its cap badges, which is often the order of the day with SS caps...despite the fantasies nurtured on other websites and the fond wishes of naive collectors.

This piece attached is a cousin of same, but it is an officer's cap. I assume such grey caps for other ranks (...according to Mollo...) came into use ca. 1938/39, versus as of about 1935 for officers, but only d'Alquen knows for sure.

In any case, look closely at this piece, as one sees only junk in grey caps with fake runes. These are authentic.
    Attached Images Attached Images Another great ebay visor cap 

Quote by John Brandon View Post
    Looks to be an early cap, and quite rare with the SS runes inside.

Would this be classed as late VT, but pre war? Just goes to show that there are things out there. A nice cap, if that is the word

John-
    I concur with FB regarding the age of this cap. It is quite early circa 1933/34. The SS-VT ceased to exist with the creation of the Waffen SS. As FB also mentioned, this is an upgraded NCO cap.
    Attached are images of a similar cap still being used by an NCO. This cap exhibits insignia holes indicating that all three forms of national emblem were mounted on it at one time. I would presume that both forms of totenkopf were also mounted on the cap. I am sure that the subject cap will have two vertical pin holds where the 1929 pattern national emblem was once mounted.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Another great ebay visor cap   Another great ebay visor cap  

Another great ebay visor cap  
    BOB

?

Upgraded with Zinc insignia too Bob which would indicate use of the cap right into the Wartime era.

Ben-
    My cap is a case of begging the question, how many eagles have been mounted on this cap? I have no doubt that there was another 1936 pattern eagle on this cap before the present zinc piece. As this is a well worn cap, likely worn in the field, it is possible several eagles adorned this cap. The cap was purchased a number of years ago by a friend of mine from a walk in at a military show. The seller was the son of the vet who brought this piece back. The buyer offered it to me and I limited his ownership time to about five minutes.
    BOB

?

I think I would have taken about the same time to make up my mind as you did Bob!

The point I was trying to make however is this. A pre war cap is discovered, sometimes with wartime insignia or none at all, no problem there, they were subject to changes of insignia of course or have survived to this day without insignia at all. What I find fascinating though is the fact that a cap from the VT era survived so long on the head of the owner right through the change of insignia and right up to the point of being a souvenir for the allied soldiers arriving in France in 44. The fact that this particular cap was bought from Canada would suggest that don't you agree? Unless of course that the Canada connection is a complete red herring? I don't know, just seems quite amazing to me that such a lot of pre war caps ended up in American/Canadian hands and are now being sold on.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast