Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Arm Band....What to look for ???

Article about: Looking at collecting some different armbands...... Is there a way to tell whether it's an authentic ss ? What other things will help determine whether they are authentic ? I looked at a few

?

Default Arm Band....What to look for ???

Looking at collecting some different armbands......

Is there a way to tell whether it's an authentic ss ? What other things will help determine whether they are authentic ? I looked at a few and a gentleman was telling me two of them were SS, both had striping top and bottom as the others he was selling did not. I did notice some difference in stitching that I thought was a concern, maybe it's not. Some of the stitching was a zigzag pattern while others seem to be hand sewn. He claimed all to be authentic, ranging from $100 for the regular ones to $150 for the SS.

Any help with identification would be greatly appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Arm Band....What to look for ???
    P
    Many

Default Re: Arm Band....What to look for ???

The asking price to me is a real red flag. Genuine SS armbands can range between $450-$600 depending on them being cotton or wool base. The fakers attempt to copy original construction of which none would be hand sewn. As you are inexperienced with these, your safest bet is to post pictures for review. If the seller refuses, that is also a red flag. I would also suggest that you use the search engine on this site as many original and some fakes have been discussed here.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Arm Band....What to look for ???Arm Band....What to look for ???Arm Band....What to look for ???Arm Band....What to look for ???Arm Band....What to look for ???Arm Band....What to look for ???Arm Band....What to look for ???Arm Band....What to look for ???Arm Band....What to look for ???Arm Band....What to look for ???Arm Band....What to look for ???Arm Band....What to look for ???Arm Band....What to look for ???Arm Band....What to look for ???Arm Band....What to look for ???Arm Band....What to look for ???Arm Band....What to look for ???Arm Band....What to look for ???Arm Band....What to look for ???Arm Band....What to look for ???Arm Band....What to look for ???Arm Band....What to look for ???Arm Band....What to look for ???Arm Band....What to look for ???Arm Band....What to look for ???Arm Band....What to look for ???Arm Band....What to look for ???pi pa po Not each item here is my property, but much of it is, as if that were an issue.

Most reading this have never actually held a real SS Kampfbinde, let alone a black uniform or more than one black uniform, as Bob Coleman will attest in his wisdom of sixty years of collecting.

?

Great shots Friedrich! That's super as a ref for inexperienced people. I too owned a genuine wool example very similar to some of the specimens shown above. The quality of them is what really stands out. The fakes never come close to replicating how well constructed the originals were.

Regards

Carl

In my lost youth, a cunning and odious faker who baited his victims (and whose name began with an "N") made excellent fakes of these, ca. 1968, but the red woolen lacked the orange hue had by the originals and still in dye stuffs in red textiles today in Germany. That is, the woolen of the era had a distinct color that is poorly apprehended by our images, but which is unmistakable in real life. Also, the construction of the Hakenkreuz is usually mashed up in the newer fakes. Mr. "N" also made SS kepis, in fact, and I almost bought one forty years ago...but did not in the end. Donnerwetter.

Quote by carltiger View Post
    Great shots Friedrich! That's super as a ref for inexperienced people. I too owned a genuine wool example very similar to some of the specimens shown above. The quality of them is what really stands out. The fakes never come close to replicating how well constructed the originals were.

Regards

Carl
    Thanks, and yes, the fakes are never like the originals. You have to have the originals at hand to make an acute and definitive comparison. Hope my picture essay is of use. I own more than one of these, but my photo skills are minimal and my equipment insufficient.Arm Band....What to look for ???Arm Band....What to look for ???Arm Band....What to look for ???Arm Band....What to look for ???Arm Band....What to look for ???Arm Band....What to look for ???Arm Band....What to look for ???Arm Band....What to look for ???Arm Band....What to look for ???Arm Band....What to look for ???Arm Band....What to look for ???Arm Band....What to look for ???Arm Band....What to look for ???

?

oh my word, to have a collection like that. and must say how nice a member takes the time and patience to help another here with all the photos, credit to friedrich. regards george w

?

Such an exquisite collection ! ! !

None of the armbands I was shown had any type of label on the inside whatsoever. Should all armbands have some type of label or is this something generally on the ss armbands ? Also the white circles on yours look quite round, the ones I was shown looked as if someone may have been drinking while they were cutting / shaping this part. Again, is the neatness found more in the ss pieces compared with others? I was unable to see the inside stitching in the photos, is it a straight pattern or a zigzag pattern ?

Do you know of any reputable dealers to work with on finding a piece? I'm thinking even if a certificate of authenticity is offerered it isn't a sure guarantee either.

I greatly appreciate you taking the time to share the photos of your collection, it is absolutely magnificent !

Unless the armbands are very early, they all would have a RZM tag. Bill Shea of the Ruptured Duck has several examples presently on his website. Bill is an honest trustworthy dealer in this material.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Black liight or UV light test will tell you. Small handheld ones are sold at stamp collector shops.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast