Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Black SS Mantel for review and opinion

Article about: Greetings. This black SS Mantel has come to my attention. It looks fine to my untrained eyes but has obvious and more subtle differences to the examples that contributors to this site have s

?

Default Re: Black SS Mantel for review and opinion

I had several with original thin cord around collar, the same by size which is used for collartabs
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Black SS Mantel for review and opinion
    P
    Many

Donnerwetter.

?

Very nice coat. Good luck if you buy it and decide to restore it.

Cheers, Pat

Thanks to all for your input and thoughts. My opinions are mixed about restoration..... authenticity vs wholeness. IMHO restored items are simply a collection of component parts
    After doing a rough calculation of insignia on top of the puchase price, it puts the coat beyond the price of a decent intact original. I have never restored such an item and dont want to learn the hard way. Possibly I will make an offer and decide at a later date about restoration. Thanks, Paul

?

This is your choise. I personally do not like restored items, but if you will buy a real untouched item, it will cost at least twice then coat and insignia + other expences.
    Vorschrifts Mantel ( contract issue) will cost more than 10k with all period insignia, and they are much rare then the black tunics. I've owned 5 of the coats, but I didn't remember how many tunics I've had
    The normal Allgemeine tabs + cufftitle and a piece of cord will cost you in around 1000-1200 USD
    If you are planning to make it as a SS-VT, then price will start from 3500- up to >???kk, depends of your fantasy.
    Regards,
    Dimas

?

I would get it, just because I couldn't afford a complete one at the moment. I could , however , get insignia later on. But, as Dimas said, better to get a complete original. Doesn't mean this mantel is garbage, though.
    Dean.

i recently bought from the dealer an outstanding SD black mantel and i would buy also this exactly mantel but, of course, restoring is a hard thing and i prefer to don't do it. Tell me, please, if you will buy also by private message.
    Dealer is a very nice man, however. And mantel is perfect.

?

Unfortunately I've sold it already, it's not mine now
    Regards,
    Dimas

Do let me say that such an overcoat is hardly common, even with its lack of badges.
    While an intact piece is preferable to one that is like this, such overcoats with badges or without are quite rare.
    Also, as Bob Coleman reminds us, black uniforms in the USA of an early epoch had their badges stripped by insignia collectors.
    One can restore these things properly, which I hardly find as taboo as some with their dogma.
    I was lucky to find an intact one, minus the brassard forty years ago. I added the brassard, which I hardly think constitutes a major crime.

A difficult decision, perhaps swayed to the positive by the fact that I cant find a suitably intact black tunic listed for sale presently. Cheers, Paul
    Last edited by backtothefront; 05-31-2013 at 02:35 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast