Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

black SS officer's cap

Article about: by Friedrich-Berthold while I do not wish to endorse dealers etc as a rule, these items I have enclosed here are authentic in my opinion. This dealer has certainly found some very nice examp

?

Default Re: black SS officer's cap

Himmler was obviously a fan. Most photos show him wearing an "extramutze" style cap but with a very thin and highly lacquered leather peak. Why his preference for a lighter weight cap, who knows, prehaps he had a scalp condition?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture black SS officer's cap  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement black SS officer's cap
    P
    Many

?

I do think it was a "power statement" to wear such a cap. They are totaly and obviously high end garments that were a million miles away from regular fieldcap "crushers". There has been very little discussion about these caps up until now.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture black SS officer's cap  

?

Also extremely popular with Heer Field Marshals and Generals.

Von Bock in France looking very pleased with himself. Again, notice the cap spring around the top, giving a very sharp profile.

?

The rank and file.

?

Back to the elite.

I think this cap has a laminated paper peak actualy. The sharp relief around the edge is too defined for leather.

?

The construction of such "schirm" was nothing new..
    Last edited by BenVK; 08-05-2010 at 01:42 AM.

Thanks for the nice addenda, especially the cap of the pre 1918 era.
    I would suggest these points:
    a.) caps with leather peaks were common in the NSDAP and its branches until about the rise of the 4 year plan ca. 1936-8
    aa.) Caps in the imperial period had a colorful mixture of leather, but also the fiber and other peaks.
    b.) many early SS caps had leather peaks
    c.) other caps of the era had leather peaks without being field caps
    d.) there existed a species of peaked cap with leather peak and otherwise rigid superstructure (crown, Steg, etc.) which was worn in the army. I own two general staff caps (unpictured) one of which is from Mueller Muenchen, which has a nice patent leather peak.
    e.) Himmler forbade leather peaks in 1938 likely for reasons of cost and thrift as well as the raw materials issue whereby natural materials needed for the war effort had priority, that is, needed for the 4 year plan and the renewed drive towards Ersatzmaterial.
    f.) the Oak Leaf militaria site has numerous early NSDAP caps illustrated now with leather peaks.
    g.) Vulkanfiber was to replicate the appearance of a patent leather bill or visor as part of the marvel of the German chemical industry, a cornerstone of the 2d industrial revolution.

Some one here should share the intriguing illustrations of these early NSDAP caps as seen elsewhere.

Three examples of early SS caps with a leather peak over an above those so illustrated here.
    the 1st piece is the Coleman collection, while the bottom piece is from the Ulrich of England site.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture black SS officer's cap   black SS officer's cap  

Attached Images Attached Images black SS officer's cap 
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 08-05-2010 at 03:33 AM.

Not an Officer cap (and maybe not much of a contribution to Ben's question regarding black linings in such caps), but this is really all I have . . . the black lining of an early EM version.

In the past, I was never much of a fan of black caps . . . but I will admit - they are growing on me now.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture black SS officer's cap   black SS officer's cap  

Quote by N.C. Wyeth View Post
    Not an Officer cap (and maybe not much of a contribution to Ben's question regarding black linings in such caps), but this is really all I have . . . the black lining of an early EM version.

In the past, I was never much of a fan of black caps . . . but I will admit - they are growing on me now.
    Thanks for the nice addendum. A piece with patina and character.

The pieces on the so noted website are for sale. Eventually I shall off load mine, too, and you are welcome to them. Have a nice trip to Austria.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast