Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast

Black SS uniform in wear, 1943

Article about: Dear Colleague, in contrast, here is an Austrian Allgemeine SS man, but I think of a higher echelon of command. I think colleague d'alquen originally furnished us this image. My wild guess i

Default Re: Black SS uniform in wear, 1943

As an addendum (I should have Google'd him before)... Here is the relevant page on his family's genealogical website:
    Gunter d'Alquen

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Black SS uniform in wear, 1943
    P
    Many

Thank you, dear colleague for your complete answer, to which I say: Donnerwetter. Then I likely passed him in Cologne or Bonn at some point and did not even know it, since 1998 is yesterday as far as I am concerned. I used to spend a lot of time in said locales until the capital moved to the Spree and Havel.

I also own the Sammelbiographie from Schoenigh Verlag you mention, which is superb. It is a reflection of how my collateral responsibilities have ruined my capacity as a student of history that I buy all these books and seldom read them properly, because I am either worrying about keeping our ministerial responsibilities afloat in wartime, recovering from jet lag, and posting inanities about militaria on websites instead of proper reading as I once did.

Thanks so much und einen guten Rutsch ins neue Jahr.

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    As an addendum (I should have Google'd him before)... Here is the relevant page on his family's genealogical website:
    Gunter d'Alquen

Thank you. The bibliographical citations are excellent.
    Danke vielmals!

Very interesting. However, when was his promotion to Standartenfuhrer? Interesting how, during wartime, he continued to wear the black uniform while broadcasting:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Black SS uniform in wear, 1943  
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

Quote by stonemint View Post
    Very interesting. However, when was his promotion to Standartenfuhrer? Interesting how, during wartime, he continued to wear the black uniform while broadcasting:
    Date of rank are in the Dienstalterlisten. He was promoted to said rank on 30 January 1937. He likely had one rank in the Allgemeine SS/ RFSS and another in the Waffen SS, did he not?

More black uniforms were worn than one thinks, in fact.

On second thought, I am automatically assuming that his A-SS and W-SS ranks were the same, which we know did not always occur. So both the tuxedo shot and the broadcasting pic could have been pre-war pics, especially as he is not wearing any combat awards in the broadcasting picture.
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

You beat me to the answer: I agree that these are very likely not wartime images. According to the SS-Dienstalterslisten, he was promoted to Standartenführer in the Allgemeine-SS on 30 January 1937.
    His promotion to Standartenführer der Reserve with the Waffen-SS occurred at a later date during the war which is unknown to me.

Quote by stonemint View Post
    On second thought, I am automatically assuming that his A-SS and W-SS ranks were the same, which we know did not always occur. So both the tuxedo shot and the broadcasting pic could have been pre-war pics, especially as he is not wearing any combat awards in the broadcasting picture.
    The ranks were by no means identical, just as high ranking party figures had far lower ranks in the armed forces according to merit, career, et cetera. Heydrich was surely no flag officer in the Luftwaffe. I assume the images at home in Wansee with the Gesellschaftanzug as well as the radio studio are of an earlier date. But there were surely figures in party, state, and economy with SS rank who were not entitled to wear the field grey uniform, and who wore black uniforms for special occasions during the war. And the part timers in the Allgemeine SS who remained on service wore black as well to the bitter end as this thread otherwise shows.

Thanks again for the d'Alquen material.

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    Thanks again for the d'Alquen material.
    You are quite welcome. Actually, the discovery of the genealogical website - over which I probably would never have stumbled were it not for my internet search prompted by this thread - was quite a nice surprise for me, too.

One final bit of interesting info on said website: It was actually created and administered by none other than Gunter d'Alquen's son Ingo Gunter before his death in 2008:

Ingo Gunter d'Alquen

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    You are quite welcome. Actually, the discovery of the genealogical website - over which I probably would never have stumbled were it not for my internet search prompted by this thread - was quite a nice surprise for me, too.

One final bit of interesting info on said website: It was actually created and administered by none other than Gunter d'Alquen's son Ingo Gunter before his death in 2008:

Ingo Gunter d'Alquen
    Thank you for this, too. All very interesting. One sees here how aristocratic Ahnenforschung morphed into the racial ideology of the SS and the back into Familiengeschichte of a more normal kind.
    I cited a very good scholarly book on the Ahnenpass in another post which makes this transition tangible from the 19th century into the 20th century. Thanks again, and also thanks for that wonderful site with of the woman's Fotoatelier. This Ingo d'Alquen died a young man.

Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast