MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Black SS uniform in wear, 1943

Article about: Dear Colleague, in contrast, here is an Austrian Allgemeine SS man, but I think of a higher echelon of command. I think colleague d'alquen originally furnished us this image. My wild guess i

Quote by Wilhelm Saris View Post
    I had not read this thread before, but the shown photo from post 1

Attachment 862961

was actually in the German press from mid-1943.

For example in the Stuttgarter Illustrierte (Oktober 13, 1943) another photo was shown.
    The caption said: Reich Minister Goebbels congratulates the farmer (den Bauern) Zschirnst
    (that is how the name was in the newspaper) with his RK to the KVK decoration.
    This has to be the man in question (apparently, the paper misspelled his name):

Name: Zschirnt Kurt
    Date of birth: 10 Jan. 1897
    NSDAP no.: 3 064 682
    SS no.: 308 267
    SS Promotion dates:
    - 1 Aug. 1938 - Untersturmführer
    - 20 April 1939 - Obersturmführer
    - 9 Nov. 1942 - Sturmbannführer
    - 9 Nov. 1943 - Obersturmbannführer
    Military rank: Oberleutnant der Reserve
    Duty assignments:
    - RuS-Hauptamt (as per SS-DAL of 1 Dec. 1938 and 1 Oct. 1943)
    - 74. Standarte (as per SS-DAL of 1 Oct. 1944)
    Awards and decorations: Ritterkreuz des Kriegsverdienskreuzes ohne Schwerter, Kriegsverdienstkreuz ohne Schwerter 1. und 2. Klasse, Eisernes Kreuz 1. und 2. Klasse (WW1), Ehrenkreuz für Frontkämpfer, Verwundetenabzeichen in Schwarz (WW1), SS-Ehrenring. The press photograph also shows the Schlesischer Adler 1. Klasse.
    Other data: Member of Lebensborn e.V.

(Data compiled from the SS-Dienstalterslisten [SS officer seniority lists] of 1 Dec. 1938 (+ addendum), 1 Oct. 1943 and 1 Oct. 1944.)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Black SS uniform in wear, 1943
    P
    Many

Thanks HPL2008. Yes, newspapers often misspelled names.

Black SS uniform in wear, 1943Black SS uniform in wear, 1943Black SS uniform in wear, 1943
    Thanks to you both for the wise counsel and kind aid.

Our readers are much richer for your help, and this thread is an old war horse in our stable, with huge traction in the internet so we do well to keep it going on the subject.

The 1942 price list is a real find.

- - ------- - -

Thanks to Martin Stiles for it.

Black SS uniform in wear, 1943The book on training and education in the SS that is out in the last year has a lot to say about how the Allgemeine SS worked, and how it did thus in wartime.

which is to say that everyone misspells German names, including my own German name and many more.

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    The book on training and education in the SS that is out in the last year has a lot to say about how the Allgemeine SS worked, and how it did thus in wartime.
    It also describes in great detail how young farmers and farmers' sons were actively encouraged to join the SS and how agronomers, senior figures of the farming community and other personnel from Darrés "blood and soil" sphere played a key role in the early years of the SS' internal system for ideological indoctrination, and also how they were increasingly replaced by professional teachers and docents of various kinds in the later years.

The highly decorated farmer and SS officer Zschirnt was surely a man after Himmler's and Darré's heart (although the latter had, of course, pretty much faded into insignifcance by the time the above photo was taken).

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    which is to say that everyone misspells German names, including my own German name and many more.
    Misspelled name... story of my life.

Bravo, Andreas and our warm thanks.

Black SS uniform in wear, 1943Black SS uniform in wear, 1943Black SS uniform in wear, 1943Black SS uniform in wear, 1943Black SS uniform in wear, 1943Black Montur for sale in April 1942, despite collector group think to the contrary. And for sale via the Waffen SS....so please explain that to me.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 08-19-2015 at 03:47 AM.

Black SS uniform in wear, 1943The above is a bomb proof primary source versus a collector picture book.

Of if it is a fake, please say so now so I do not mislead anyone.

Thanks for the references, FB. I will read through this thread tomorrow.

Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast