Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Black tunic, original?

Article about: by BenVK I don't know, there isn't this study going on in any other area as far as I know. So, to recap, in the terms of the SS black service cap, we know that the earlier, or at least the c

Default Re: Black tunic, original?

To my knowledge at the moment, the Herman Grenadier site has some original black regalia, as does Shea, as does Whammond or at least items to observe. Peter Jenkins has authentic material, but I am not well in touch with the other UK dealers.
    The piece you post here has many flaws too numerous to list, the crowning one being this nasty anti semitic label, which I have actually seen in no real black SS tunic I have observed or owned.

PS I know all these dealers, have cordial relations with them, but am not on their payroll. If anything, they are supported by me at too little re numeration.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Black tunic, original?
    P
    Many

When one looks at the cloth sample book, the original colors of said textiles, their richness in feel et cetera does come through the span of almost eight decades, to underscore the point that patina in textiles is an important criterion. Such puts the lie to the stone mint nonsense, since even those pieces that are nearly un used are still seventy and more years old, and no longer appear in the same shade and character as these cloth swatches.Black tunic, original?

That is to say, the black of the SS Trikot and SS Tuch are blacker by far than they appear in authentic garments in the present, which have aged, are faded, and a shade or more lighter than said objects.
    This book of mine is a real source of pride, even if it is damaged and incomplete. What it does have intact is extraordinary, especially because it gives a clear break down of types of fabric and especially colors, even of Besatztuecher in their variety.

Foetid and foetid.

?

Hi Robbie,
    I saw this piece for sale too, and you'll notice that almost no-one bid on it. Ebay is full of junk, and you can sift through it if you are careful, but if you are like me you have to remember that dealers and other more advanced collectors are also looking, so if almost no-one bids on it, it's likely that the only ones who are bidding know that it is a repro and plan on using it as such. I have seen pieces that are original(Panzer wraps, mint officer tunics etc.) on Ebay, but they go for a few thousand euros unless you are ok with "Mottenzfresser" pieces. If there is no bidding war on a piece that looks too good to be true, it's likely that someone else knows something that you and I don't. I put a lot of items on my watch list that I'm unsure of and just watch the prices and see if they go up, or like this one, remain low, and that usually tells me all that I need to know about the piece after a few days. I use Ebay as well because I can't quite pay dealer prices for a feldbluse either and the Euro is still killing us Amis, so I feel where you are coming from. I recently bought "Deutsche Soldaten" by Augustin Saiz and "Feldbluse" (http://www.amazon.com/Feldbluse-Germ.../dp/2352500109), and I feel much more confident and informed. I still shy away from SS pieces at this point, but I look at SS collecting as something to work towards slowly.
    Best,
    Eddie

Quote by doomtown View Post
    Hi Robbie,
    I saw this piece for sale too, and you'll notice that almost no-one bid on it. Ebay is full of junk, and you can sift through it if you are careful, but if you are like me you have to remember that dealers and other more advanced collectors are also looking, so if almost no-one bids on it, it's likely that the only ones who are bidding know that it is a repro and plan on using it as such. I have seen pieces that are original(Panzer wraps, mint officer tunics etc.) on Ebay, but they go for a few thousand euros unless you are ok with "Mottenzfresser" pieces. If there is no bidding war on a piece that looks too good to be true, it's likely that someone else knows something that you and I don't. I put a lot of items on my watch list that I'm unsure of and just watch the prices and see if they go up, or like this one, remain low, and that usually tells me all that I need to know about the piece after a few days. I use Ebay as well because I can't quite pay dealer prices for a feldbluse either and the Euro is still killing us Amis, so I feel where you are coming from. I recently bought "Deutsche Soldaten" by Augustin Saiz and "Feldbluse" (Amazon.com: Feldbluse: The German Army Field Tunic 1933-45 (9782352500100): Jean-Philippe Borg: Books), and I feel much more confident and informed. I still shy away from SS pieces at this point, but I look at SS collecting as something to work towards slowly.
    Best,
    Eddie
    Thanks for the expose of your approach. There are many ways to approach the goal.

?

Thanks for the advice/support, everyone, it does help. I hate posting things which I think'll embarrass me, it's only that I really don't want to avoid something which could later turn out to be real; and I learn something every time. I know it must be frustrating to people like you, FB, what with owning so many of these tunics and knowing so much about them, to see such a shoddy piece being seriously questioned as an original. And Eddie, I try to do the same - other people are the best judges of these things! - but I've heard of some fantastic genuine deals before on eBay from friends of mine and I never know whether I've found one of those or not...
    Anyway, I'll try to purchase some good reference books and I'm taking everything said here on board.

Robbie

I am sorry if I have made you feel victimized, but do believe me, when I write that I have paid a high price for my knowledge, such as it is....a high price.

Black tunic, original?Black tunic, original?Black tunic, original?Black tunic, original?Black tunic, original?Black tunic, original?Black tunic, original?Black tunic, original?Black tunic, original?Black tunic, original?Black tunic, original?

Black tunic, original?Black tunic, original?Black tunic, original?Black tunic, original?Black tunic, original?Black tunic, original?Black tunic, original?Black tunic, original?Black tunic, original?Black tunic, original?Black tunic, original?Black tunic, original?Black tunic, original?Black tunic, original?Black tunic, original?Black tunic, original?Black tunic, original?Black tunic, original?Black tunic, original?Black tunic, original?Black tunic, original?Black tunic, original?Black tunic, original?Black tunic, original?Black tunic, original?Black tunic, original?Black tunic, original?Black tunic, original?Black tunic, original?Black tunic, original?Black tunic, original?Black tunic, original?Black tunic, original?Black tunic, original?Foetid woolens demand their tribute in a heart breaking way.

?

My own SS collection consists of two photographs and a cap skull - not quite the same standard as yours. One day I'll myself own one of these such tunics... one day. Until that time I'm forced to look on and envy!

Robbie

Black tunic, original?Black tunic, original?Black tunic, original?Black tunic, original?Black tunic, original?Black tunic, original?Black tunic, original?Black tunic, original?Black tunic, original?Black tunic, original?Black tunic, original?Black tunic, original?Black tunic, original?Black tunic, original?Black tunic, original?
    Quote by Styx View Post
    My own SS collection consists of two photographs and a cap skull - not quite the same standard as yours. One day I'll myself own one of these such tunics... one day. Until that time I'm forced to look on and envy!

Robbie
    No need for envy, but best of luck. I won't keep these things forever and then they must find a new home.Black tunic, original?Black tunic, original?Black tunic, original?
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 12-20-2011 at 01:25 AM.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast