Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Braeckow, Grossdeutschland im Weltgeschehen

Article about: Here is something that likely should be in the book place, but these volumes are also useful for Nazi Uniformkunde. These are the most deluxe Heinrich Hoffman volumes, edited by the chancell

Default Braeckow, Grossdeutschland im Weltgeschehen

Here is something that likely should be in the book place, but these volumes are also useful for Nazi Uniformkunde. These are the most deluxe Heinrich Hoffman volumes, edited by the chancellery and the propaganda ministry. They cost RM120 a piece when new (no small sum...) and now, I think, nearly 2000 dollars per volume. I am aware of volumes from 1939 until 1942, but I might be in error that they began earlier and ended later. They are quite impressive in real life (a volume weighs something like seven to ten pounds..) and a real treasure trove of propaganda images, not the least of which of daily life and Nazi rule at home and in occupied Europe.

As is my wont, I had the chance about a decade ago to buy the set for USD700 and failed to do so. The proverbial fish story...

Addendum: I found the 1940 volume in advanced book exchange in the UK for USD 1230 dollars, so I might have run away with the price there. I think I have found them in Czechia for more.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Braeckow,  Grossdeutschland im Weltgeschehen   Braeckow,  Grossdeutschland im Weltgeschehen  

Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 07-13-2008 at 01:27 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Braeckow,  Grossdeutschland im Weltgeschehen
    P
    Many

Default Re: Braeckow, Grossdeutschland im Weltgeschehen

Here is an image of the piece in the UK
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Braeckow,  Grossdeutschland im Weltgeschehen  

Fantastic books and absolutely rare! For my view they are totaly undervalued. 120RM was at these times an absolute expensive price, and for sure only the Extravaganz could afford it.

Thank you, Robert.

Wilkins goes on about the cost of a peaked cap in his famous book, which he totally overstates. These Braeckow books cost a fortune for people of the time. In fact, there were various luxury editions of NSDAP volumes (of which these were especially expensive...) that were rather expensive. As Robert H will agree, in certain kinds of families, one's library was a sign of social status and one had to have fine bindings of the required titles. Today we have marble counter tops in kitchens and marble bedecked water closets pp.

This thing about a library might sound peculiar in 21st century society, but it was quite true in the early 20th century Germany.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 07-13-2008 at 04:32 AM.

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    They cost RM120 a piece when new (no small sum...)
    I agree. As a side note, the VW (or Kdf wagen) was priced to cost a 1000RM in 1939.

Dear Colleague, Additional data. thank you. FB

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    Dear Colleague, Additional data. thank you. FB
    You're welcome! It's always nice to be able to compare prices.

stephenrosia
    ?

I have the 1942 in very good condition. Interested in offers.

You might post same to the book rubric. I would also be interested in the contemporary price. I ended up being able to buy the four volumes I mentioned here some years ago.

There is the 1940 edition of same in Zentralverzeichnis antiquarischer Buecher for Euros 750. By that measure, the four volumes I got despite my post should have cost USD 4,000 or so. They did not. Sometimes one gets lucky.Braeckow,  Grossdeutschland im WeltgeschehenBraeckow,  Grossdeutschland im WeltgeschehenBraeckow,  Grossdeutschland im WeltgeschehenBraeckow,  Grossdeutschland im Weltgeschehen

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast