Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Can you help me identify his unit

Article about: I have no clue sorry I thought he was British Free Corp (old style uniform) but looking at the description nvm, rank of schutze?

?

Default Can you help me identify his unit

Sorry for the poor quality. I am trying to identify my German grandfather's WW2 unit. He was inducted into the German army from Serbia. His family was Donauschwabian from the Banat area. I know that he fought first in Russia, was wounded, and after recouperation was sent to Normandy where he was captured by the allies and spent the last year of the war as a POW in the US.

Any insight would be appreciated. This is the only surviving photo of him from the war, as his family lost all possessions when they were expelled from yugoslavia after the war.

Thanks!

Can you help me identify his unit

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Can you help me identify his unit
    P
    Many

Default Re: Can you help me identify his unit

Welcome to the forum Matt.
    Someone who knows will help you for sure, it may take a short while however. Don't worry if your question goes unanswered for a few days....
    To be conscripted, fight in Russia, then Normandy and to survive the war - he was a lucky guy ( and of course DOUBLY lucky for YOU! )
    Cheers, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

If I'm not mistaken, the Hoheitsabzeichen on his left arm indicates that he was Waffen-SS. My cousin, who fought on the Eastern Front said that the SS accepted enlistments of non-Party members and that draftees were also funneled into the SS, which puts the old saw that all SS were dedicated nazis to rest. Good photo and I wish you luck in your research. Dwight

The belt buckle is that of W-SS.

Pretty interesting. I can't wait till the experts chime in!

?

Quote by drmessimer View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, the Hoheitsabzeichen on his left arm indicates that he was Waffen-SS. My cousin, who fought on the Eastern Front said that the SS accepted enlistments of non-Party members and that draftees were also funneled into the SS, which puts the old saw that all SS were dedicated nazis to rest. Good photo and I wish you luck in your research. Dwight
    When the German army invaded yugoslavia, there were thousands of german villages......new conscripts! they did a fitness test, and all of the best men were "volunteered" for Waffen SS.

My mother rememberedhat when he returned from Russia to heal from his wounds, everyone in the village (Karavukowo, Yugoslavia) was afraid of him because he was SS.

I sure appreciate the input.

can't make out the collar tab, but the rest is definitely W-SS.

Hey Matt, get history! What part of Houston are you from?

?

Many VolksDeutsche from the Banat and Siebenburgen served in the Waffen SS , throughout many of the formations although a large majority went via initial recruitment into Prinz Eugen to Nordland but from this photo it is unfortunatley impossible to tell the unit definately !!

- - Updated - -

If possible can you post a closer photo of the tab on the right side of his collar , not the blank one.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

I have to agree. Definitely Waffen SS, but that's about as far as you can go with the photo. There's unfortunately, nothing in it that can tell us anything else about him, and I'm absolutely unable to make out what the insignia is on that right hand collar tab! Very frustrating, for sure!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast