MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Closed-Collar Feldgrau A-SS Uniform

Article about: You SS collectors have probably seen this before, but it is a first for me--an A-SS officer wearing the closed-neck A-SS tunic in fieldgray:

?

Default Re: Closed-Collar Feldgrau A-SS Uniform

good f-b -

I'll try and contribute as oft I can. it's just I fall upon these "creatures' comforts" so seldom that my shows-n-tell are rare as, well, real tuxedo badges. (tho I not long ago managed to winkle out an authentic 'pmd postfrei' ss nco dachau degen, viewable on another forum here. admittedly, non-foetid but a handsome object anyhow ....)

meanwhile, I lurk and learn; pleasantly so. weidsmannsheil!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Closed-Collar Feldgrau A-SS Uniform
    P
    Many

Quote by vady View Post
    good f-b -

I'll try and contribute as oft I can. it's just I fall upon these "creatures' comforts" so seldom that my shows-n-tell are rare as, well, real tuxedo badges. (tho I not long ago managed to winkle out an authentic 'pmd postfrei' ss nco dachau degen, viewable on another forum here. admittedly, non-foetid but a handsome object anyhow ....)

meanwhile, I lurk and learn; pleasantly so. weidsmannsheil!
    Gut so. My best to you, FB

FB Many thanks for the reply with the Alpenland image.

I was not aware that the Allgemene SS had such a supporting role during wartime and assumed that their duties were more ceremonial and less "hands on" but this now seems to be totally wrong.

There also seems to have been a more "fluid" relationship between the different branches of the organisation than I had thought, so I will have to revise my thinking here and look at this situation anew.

Quote by Bochmann View Post
    FB Many thanks for the reply with the Alpenland image.

I was not aware that the Allgemene SS had such a supporting role during wartime and assumed that their duties were more ceremonial and less "hands on" but this now seems to be totally wrong.

There also seems to have been a more "fluid" relationship between the different branches of the organisation than I had thought, so I will have to revise my thinking here and look at this situation anew.
    I make this comment based on the photograph album of a Waffen SS man in the hands of a friend in Vienna, as well as this work on Maehrisch Iglau, which is more or less a chronology of the town and its NSDAP, SS, SA and so forth units.

This is an interesting Hochzeit photograph. Note that he appears to be wearing the piped Allgemeine pants with a (very) shortened tunic:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Closed-Collar Feldgrau A-SS Uniform  
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

That is a superb photo and one which contradicts all of the dress regulations that were in place at the time.
    Nice to see also that the wearer has only non combat awards.

A very good photo and thanks for sharing!

From his awards (Potsdam Badge and Golden HJ Badge), he is clearly a former "veteran" Hitler Youth member who has moved on to the Waffen-SS.

For some reason, such shortened tunics/blouses were considered fashionable at the time, both with the SS and the Army. (Personally, I have always found this look decidedly odd.)

This mix of grey and black uniform items is sometimes seen in photographs. Mark C. Yerger's biography of Ernst August Krag has a group photo of 22 SS officer candidates at Bad Tölz together with one of their instructors, all wearing the pre-war grey field blouse with opened collars, white shirts, ties and the long, black, white-piped trousers.

I agree, the shortened tunic look is very odd. I am told the reason that is was done was to give an illusion of height, in that the cuffs extend far below the hem. (The wear of high-peaked Sattelform visors was also for the same reason).

I think the cufftitle is 1gerhard landmann, the honor title of 49 th Standarte, I lightened the picture and it pops out , the picture was photoshoped to darken out the cufftltle in my opinion[ATTACH=Closed-Collar Feldgrau A-SS UniformCONFIG]395501[/ATTACH]
    I should say the original photo had the inscription blackened out.
    Last edited by silvercreek45; 09-11-2012 at 03:43 AM. Reason: added info

Allgemeine-SS gray open-collar tunic on the 'bay right now--pic is dated 1942--just noticed that he is also from the 49th Standarte, as is the Officer in post 29 above:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Closed-Collar Feldgrau A-SS Uniform  

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast