Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

colored piping on cap, 1943...Sturbannfuehrer Bochmann

Article about: Here is an image of a Waffen SS Panzer ace from what appears to be 1943, and one plainly sees the tell tale colored piping on his cap. An image intended to irritate purists. This image is fr

?

Default Re: colored piping on cap, 1943...Sturbannfuehrer Bochmann

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    As to the cap without cap spring look, I think you can examine the Bundesarchiv on line files of German life in its variety to see that people who wore peaked caps of all kinds tended to make them look worn and squished, probably as a an expression of individuality and rejection of the wired up, trussed up, closed collar discipline and regulation that was so present in life. This is the meaning of Eigensinn, as I described it above. Or look at the pictures of German movies stars of the era in You Tube for your clues as to fashion.
    Excellent suggestion, I will do that. We know that soliders from all areas loved the jaunty, rakish look but this practice of completely folding over the top of the cap to the right hand side, always the right, seems to be unique to Germany. Something must have triggered it and I'd love to know what it was.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement colored piping on cap, 1943...Sturbannfuehrer Bochmann
    P
    Many

?

Achtung! Fold your cap to the right, always to the right!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture colored piping on cap, 1943...Sturbannfuehrer Bochmann  

?

An exceptional cloth peaked cap in the collection of a friend that still exhibits this fold over style. (I have to add that the cap was found without insignia and chords, although holes for the chords buttons were evident)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture colored piping on cap, 1943...Sturbannfuehrer Bochmann  

I recall this grey officer's field cap. It is a stunning piece, really. Thank you for the image.

?

The only Officers example I ever saw Friedrich and found in a flee market as I remember. Astonishing!

Quote by BenVK View Post
    this practice of completely folding over the top of the cap to the right hand side, always the right, seems to be unique to Germany.
    I seem to recall that there was a tendency for enlisted British troops from WW2 to wear their garrision caps barely hanging on to one side of their head in photographs and I was often left wondering if the cap was held on with 'bobby pins'.....(please pardon the pun; I couldn't resist).

?

Sturmbannführer Arzelino 'Lino' Masarie wearing what appears to be a piped cap in 1943.

As concerns Joe's post, my student was regaling me today with the complicated measures necessary in US Army Airborne school to render a beret suitable for wear to appear as if one is anything other than a rookie. Another friend of mine told of how we had inherited Captain's bars in the 1970s that had been given to him from two generations of US Army officers so as to have the look of a veteran, granted the imperatives of date of rank.

As concerns Ben VK's addition from the Bundesarchiv, this image is one more nail in the coffin of collector group think that suggests Waffenfarbe on caps was an affairs of some seven months in the year 1940 in the SS at arms.

And, we learn so much more from these photographs, at an inexpensive price than the endless images of fake SS caps and even faker SS cap badges.

?

the difference between the calm demeanor with which fb and other reasonable men here describe the Real World of the german soldier, and the splutterings of the "textbook-or-it's fake" fellows is, to my mind, telling.

excellent thread, with much to chew over.

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    As concerns Joe's post, my student was regaling me today with the complicated measures necessary in US Army Airborne school to render a beret suitable for wear to appear as if one is anything other than a rookie. Another friend of mine told of how we had inherited Captain's bars in the 1970s that had been given to him from two generations of US Army officers so as to have the look of a veteran, granted the imperatives of date of rank.

As concerns Ben VK's addition from the Bundesarchiv, this image is one more nail in the coffin of collector group think that suggests Waffenfarbe on caps was an affairs of some seven months in the year 1940 in the SS at arms.

And, we learn so much more from these photographs, at an inexpensive price than the endless images of fake SS caps and even faker SS cap badges.

Being only a mere student of those things we collect, I have met more 'experts' than I ever knew existed. It seems many, with a keyboard and cloak of anonyminity, have become experts on things which I am barely learning.

I salute those who already know everything.

Bob Hritz

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast