Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cuff Title 17th Panzer Division Opinion

Article about: Hello Gentlemen, I am posting the following photos for review and opinions. A rare cuff title still attached to a section of sleeve, I think it has all the qualities but want more eyes to be

Default Cuff Title 17th Panzer Division Opinion

Hello Gentlemen,
    I am posting the following photos for review and opinions. A rare cuff title still attached to a section of sleeve, I think it has all the qualities but want more eyes to be sure. Thank you in advance.

Cuff Title 17th Panzer Division OpinionCuff Title 17th Panzer Division OpinionCuff Title 17th Panzer Division OpinionCuff Title 17th Panzer Division OpinionCuff Title 17th Panzer Division OpinionCuff Title 17th Panzer Division OpinionCuff Title 17th Panzer Division Opinion

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Cuff Title 17th Panzer Division Opinion
    P
    Many

IMO repro cuffband,sorry.

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

Fake. I have a real one in my collection.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Compare.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cuff Title 17th Panzer Division Opinion  
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Bad to the bone I'm afraid. Look no further than the very first letter which instantly gives it away. Note the straight upright on the letter G on the fake compared with the curved upright on the original.
    Apart from that , the chances of a cuffband being machine sewn onto a camo smock are , to say the least, very remote.

Standard ploy to sew a fake cuff onto a piece of "sleeve" so you can't see the reverse weave which is even more inaccurate than the obverse.
    Attached Images Attached Images Cuff Title 17th Panzer Division Opinion 

Thank you gentlemen! I appreciate your opinions.

Nice piece.

?

Compare

Cuff Title 17th Panzer Division OpinionCuff Title 17th Panzer Division Opinion

Definite difference between the two, thank you for posting.

?

Worth mentioning that the one in the opening post is probably one of the notorious "Bookmark" cuffbands which could be obtained along with Divisional histories published in Germany in the 1970s. These included equally inaccurate "Totenkopf", "Deutschland", "Wiking", "Das Reich" etc and also pure fantasy pieces such as "Nibelungen" and "Otto Skorzeny".

I remember Richard Schulze-Kossens thinking it was hilarious when a collector tried to assure him the Nibelungen was good. Schulze-Kossens commanded Nibelungen and knew better than anyone that the cuffband was a pure fantasy.

I say the one above is probably a bookmark, but may not be as an almost identical reproduction version was made up for the Truppenkameradschaft GvB. The only difference was the reverse weave pattern.

The bookmark type had a tight weave on the reverse totally unlike the correct "salt and pepper" weave shown on the original above.

The Truppenkameradschaft type had a loose weave, also unlike the original, but just like typical period BeVo insignia and genuine (not SS) cuffbands. I got this example from Walter Ott, who ran the Truppenkameradschaft. He had an uncut roll of these and cut one off for me when I visited him back in the early 80s.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cuff Title 17th Panzer Division Opinion  
    Attached Images Attached Images Cuff Title 17th Panzer Division Opinion 

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast