Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Dachau Patches

Article about: I very much agree. You cannot beat knowing where an item came from. The history behind them, to me, is what makes them special.

Default Re: Dachau Patches

I very much agree. You cannot beat knowing where an item came from. The history behind them, to me, is what makes them special.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Dachau Patches
    P
    Many

?

back of patches

Your image is not showing up.

Cheers, Ade.

When the 45th Division liberated Dachau, the storeoom bins were full of various insignia and also bales of the maroon and gray Handschar fezes. I have met many vets who told me of using the fezes as containers to hold their insignia as they went from bin to bin. The vast majority of insignia retrieved were those destined for the various foreign legions. However, hand embroidered insignia was also available on a limited basis. I have veteran purchased hand embroidered general officer collar tabs, cufftitles and trade diamonds. For many European collectors, the concept of so much SS insignia in one place was doubted for years. Information from many US collectors shared through the Internet seems to finally put the rumors of the non existance of this treasure trove to rest. The items posted in this thread are fine examples of typical items retrieved from the Dachau complex
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Quote by RH1941 View Post
    back of patches
    could i please still see a photo of the backs of the ss tabs and hat insignia for ref

?

I tried to post the backs but my computer said their was an error on the page. I'm going away for a week when i get back I will see if I can post them I also took better photos. If I can I will try again tonight before I leave

?

the photos are in my album my computer wont let me post them but you can see the backs of the patches there.

?

It took for ever but here are the backs. I was able to talk to my friends mom again, and she showed me her Dachau pass that you had to have to get in and out .If she will let me I will try and post it.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Dachau Patches   Dachau Patches  

Dachau Patches   Dachau Patches  

Dachau Patches  

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    When the 45th Division liberated Dachau, the storeoom bins were full of various insignia and also bales of the maroon and gray Handschar fezes. I have met many vets who told me of using the fezes as containers to hold their insignia as they went from bin to bin. The vast majority of insignia retrieved were those destined for the various foreign legions. However, hand embroidered insignia was also available on a limited basis. I have veteran purchased hand embroidered general officer collar tabs, cufftitles and trade diamonds. For many European collectors, the concept of so much SS insignia in one place was doubted for years. Information from many US collectors shared through the Internet seems to finally put the rumors of the non existance of this treasure trove to rest. The items posted in this thread are fine examples of typical items retrieved from the Dachau complex
    For those unfamiliar with Dachau, it may be necessary to explain that Dachau was home to a large SS complex, including a clothing depot and barracks, which had nothing to do with the concentration camp. Items like these came from the depot. The reason there was so much foreign volunteer division insignia and specialty uniform items found there is that many of these volunteer formations never grew to the size that was originally hoped and those items were excess.

On another forum, I recently posted a photo, which I believe is appropriate to show here as well. It shows a soldier who brought back a fez as a souvenir, holding it at Dachau on the day he obtained it. According to what is written on the back, the date was July 1, 1945.

Though this is just speculation, based on the odd manner in which he is holding it in the photo, I believe he is using it to carry something. Perhaps this photo captures a GI using a fez as a “shopping bag” for souvenirs from the insignia stores in the clothing depot, as Bob indicated was described by many veteransas as having been done. Whether he is actually carrying anything in the fez or not, I find it to be a very interesting photo, which adds another piece of hard evidence to the Dachau depot story.

I would bet your friend's mother has a fez somewhere.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Dachau Patches   Dachau Patches  

?

No fez just the patches she does have photos some she took others were given to her by other GI's.If she will let me I will post them just waiting for the OK She did tell me that the first thing she remembers about Dachau was the smell she said she asked the driver what that smell was and he told her to turn around and look. She stated that she saw a pile of human corps just laying there.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast