Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Dad's Dachau Stuff

Article about: We recently re-discovered stuff that my Dad brought back from his 3 month stay at Dachau (he was 2nd Lt with the 100th Infantry), buried at the bottom of an old GI duffel bag, and stuffed in

?

A very nice little group you have, congrats!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Dad's Dachau Stuff
    P
    Many

Nice as eyes!

?

I would have inherited a Adolf Hitler Autograph, one from Goering, and Himmler. Also I would have received my great grandfathers SS dagger, and his military photos. I would've hit a lottery but a flood got there first. I'm glad to see that these survived!

What else can be said? This is a very impressive collection your father brought back. Made more so in seeing the grouping together indicating the sheer quantity. I'm sure other vets brought back similar hoards but those have long since been obliterated and serve to make up the contents of many of our collections today. Thank you for sharing the photos and stories. Me? I'm going to go wring the drool out of my shirt now.

I'm a sucker for a good quote, something that means something, if you get my drift. And watching this thread develop today has been wonderfully interesting, amazing and exciting as I knew it would be, and for some reason this quote by Howard Carter kept coming into my head, even though only somewhat tenuously related. Although I must be honest, I could only remember the last couple of lines and had to look up the rest.

β€œ...as my eyes grew accustomed to the light, details of the room within emerged slowly from the mist, strange animals, statues, and gold - everywhere the glint of gold. For the moment - an eternity it must have seemed to the others standing by - I was struck dumb with amazement, and when Lord Carnarvon, unable to stand the suspense any longer, inquired anxiously, 'Can you see anything?' it was all I could do to get out the words, 'Yes, wonderful things.”

That works here for me.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

What an amazing thread this is. Thank you for sharing stories about your dad and his character. These items represent the labor and production of the people he saw there...hanging on to life. I'm sure these items channeled many images of the past he wished to remember and forget.
    As far as the fate of these items are concerned, they should be conserved, preserved and appreciated for what they are from a historical perspective. You should decide if that role is right for you or someone else in your family. If not you know the rest...good luck!

Quote by John P View Post
    Yes. Here they are. Any idea of what all of this is worth? Even possible to guess?
    HI John please at your convenience post that early numbered SS dagger in the SS dagger forum. This may be traceable . Regards Larry

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/ss-di...lch-1933-1936/
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

β€œThe farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

I would keep it all, but then again owning a brand new BMW sounds pretty amazing also!

MAP
    ?

I've said nothing and will say nothing because quite honestly I could think of the right superlatives!

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

For me it would be easy. I would keep the ww2 trinkets.

But I have never had any interest in new cars or any other post 45 items.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast