Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Day of the fallen heroes, Kraków 1943

Article about: Found these marvelous images today. Taken in 1943 on Adolf Hitler Platz in Kraków. The General is General Der Flieger Walter Sommé. "During the First Worldwar, Walter Sommé commmanded S

?

Default Day of the fallen heroes, Kraków 1943

Found these marvelous images today. Taken in 1943 on Adolf Hitler Platz in Kraków.
    The General is General Der Flieger Walter Sommé.
    "During the First Worldwar, Walter Sommé commmanded Schutzstaffel 11.
    On 1st April 1935 Sommé was given command of Aufklärungsschule 1 F (Heer) which he commanded until 31st March 1936. with the rank of Oberst he commanded as Kommodore the Kampfgeschwader 153 from 1st April 1936 until 1st May 1939. With the rank of Generalleutnant he assumed command of Luftgaustab z.b.V. Russland between 29th June and 23rd October 1941. From 23rd october 1941 until 9th August 1944 he was with the rank of General der Flieger the commanding general of Luftgau VIII."
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Day of the fallen heroes, Kraków 1943   Day of the fallen heroes, Kraków 1943  

Day of the fallen heroes, Kraków 1943   Day of the fallen heroes, Kraków 1943  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Day of the fallen heroes, Kraków 1943
    P
    Many

Default Re: Day of the fallen heroes, Kraków 1943

Nice photos, I spy a gorget.

Great pics Ben, thanks for showing.

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

?

This is probably one of the best images I've ever seen.

The SS NCO gives the General a look of disgust whilst not bothering to shake hands.

Further detail of his hat show that he's still wearing the early pattern TK and non SS chinstrap even though it's now 1943. He obviously doesn't give a damn because he's earnt the right to wear whatever he wants which I think is bloody marvelous.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Day of the fallen heroes, Kraków 1943   Day of the fallen heroes, Kraków 1943  

?

What's even better is that his Panzer comrade, who is considerably younger, doesn't seem too impressed by a Luftwaffe General either as he looks down upon this old numpty. And neither do any of the other wounded Luft guys!

Once again, check out the hat. No chinstrap but we are now talking about a different era of hat, a completely different design/shape to the previous one.
    Love the eagle sticking out though! no wonder they started making them with 3 prongs. Another mystery solved.

One might mention that this is a Polish archive, whereas the CTK is the Czech news service, which also has a fine picture archive. Wonderful picture research, Ben.

nice pics Benvk,thanks.

?

Quote by BenVK View Post
    non SS chinstrap even though it's now 1943.
    Actualy I think I'm wrong about that now but just noticed something else, the cap eagle is still the pre war political one
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Day of the fallen heroes, Kraków 1943  

So, what is the SS guy's problem with the general?

These are super pics Ben, like you say the look of contempt on the two guys with their arms in slings is priceless

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast