Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread deletion of Mollows SS Uniform book in PDF form

Article about: Hello Members according to the text stipulated on the 3rd page of Mollos SS Uniform book is that" This can not be copied or reproduced in any form " The WRF WILL NOT Play host to s

Default Thread deletion of Mollows SS Uniform book in PDF form

Hello Members according to the text stipulated on the 3rd page of Mollos SS Uniform book is that" This can not be copied or reproduced in any form " The WRF WILL NOT Play host to such copyright infringements or actions. The post itself being in the number one postion according to the WRF computer when deleted..will delete the whole thread....deleting any post there after the first post..the thread remains intact..except the post deleted. Only the first post controls the whole thread. This is a tech Question for Dimas.

Many Authors have worked long and hard to produce a valuable reference in studying history..not to be stolen by a foreign website for reproduction of images. Tony8 I feel has not done anything wrong..but may have overlooked the Copyright warning.

This websight link can not be allowed on the WRF website. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Thread deletion of Mollows SS Uniform book in PDF form
    P
    Many

Sadly, the link Tony8 provided is one in a sea of thousands. Music, movies and books all can be obtained online for free. Even with my abilities to access such things, I choose not to utilize those "recourses"(for the sake of full disclosure, I have in the past, especially for music) as it isn't fair to the gentleman who worked so hard to provide their consumers with a worthy reference-means of entertainment, one which most could never find/create on their own. But to each their own....I guess.
    -------
    Please note the above is just my outlook on a grey situation. I commend Tony8 for posting the link as he obviously was only doing it to help his fellow collector and more than likely had no idea it's illegal to do so.

?

This is a difficult area, as Youth Collector says, there is an ocean of illegally copyrighted material on the web. I would imagine that a significant proportion of material posted on this and other fora is - in strict terms - in breach of someone's rights.

A book (not militaria related) that I wrote has been scanned by someone and is now available either foc or is enriching the site through which it can accessed. I'm ambivalent about it - on one hand, it is a complete and blatant rip off, on the other, it enables (perhaps!) a few more people to access what would otherwise be a very expensive book tucked away in a few academic libraries. I should add that I have never made a penny from the book anyway, so perhaps that makes it easier.

There is the moral aspect to it too. A volume like the Mollo one is now out of print, so I suppose one might say that making it freely available harms no one, although it must obviously greatly diminish the incentive to the publisher to ever reissue it. Copying a book which is freely available and offered at a fair price is straightforward theft and potentially denies the author a living and consequently the scope to write more.

I've often wondered if the 'net is in its 'wild west' stage - perhaps in the future, when business and the state has taken full control, this freedom to copy and share will be recalled with nostalgia.

Regards, Philip

Well put, DrPMC.

?

My apologies,

Tony

US copyright law 1976 is still legit.
    How it is ruled international, not sure. But when the book writer is still alive its normaly clear.

A main reason there is a lack of new reference material is a direct result of the problems being discussed in this thread. Copying works is not a new phenomenon. There has always been a problem with collectors not wishing to financially support authors who spend many long hours doing research and composing. The Internet has only made this problem wide spread. For those familiar with Jeff Clark's book on NSDAP uniforms, you might be amazed that he has yet to realize one cent on the publication of this major work. Closing the thread will not stop the theft of intellectual material. It only means that this forum is not going to facilitate this trend.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

A lot of forums (this and others) get a bit preocupied with topics of this nature. There still exists a concept and law cover 'Fair use' for which the vast majority of topics on discussion fora could arguably fall under, especially the educatonal aspect and critical comentary sections.

U.S. Copyright Office - Fair Use

some good detailed examinatin of it here:
    Copyright Fair Use and How it Works for Online Images | Social Media Examiner

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    Closing the thread will not stop the theft of intellectual material. It only means that this forum is not going to facilitate this trend.
    Thankyou Bob well put !
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Quote by asterperious View Post
    A lot of forums (this and others) get a bit preocupied with topics of this nature. There still exists a concept and law cover 'Fair use' for which the vast majority of topics on discussion fora could arguably fall under, especially the educatonal aspect and critical comentary sections.

U.S. Copyright Office - Fair Use

some good detailed examinatin of it here:
    Copyright Fair Use and How it Works for Online Images | Social Media Examiner
    From the link you posted : "The distinction between what is fair use and what is infringement in a particular case will not always be clear or easily defined. There is no specific number of words, lines, or notes that may safely be taken without permission. Acknowledging the source of the copyrighted material does not substitute for obtaining permission"....."When it is impracticable to obtain permission, you should consider avoiding the use of copyrighted material unless you are confident that the doctrine of fair use would apply to the situation."

It goes on to say that Section 107-118 covers certain citations and situations but among the list I do not see where it says you can republish something which is copyrighted word for word and more importantly, in it's entirety-or did I misunderstand as these laws always seem to be so grey as it's anyways?

"The 1961 Report of the Register of Copyrights on the General Revision of the U.S. Copyright Law cites examples of activities that courts have regarded as fair use: “quotation of excerpts in a review or criticism for purposes of illustration or comment; quotation of short passages in a scholarly or technical work, for illustration or clarification of the author’s observations; use in a parody of some of the content of the work parodied; summary of an address or article, with brief quotations, in a news report; reproduction by a library of a portion of a work to replace part of a damaged copy; reproduction by a teacher or student of a small part of a work to illustrate a lesson; reproduction of a work in legislative or judicial proceedings or reports; incidental and fortuitous reproduction, in a newsreel or broadcast, of a work located in the scene of an event being reported.”
    ----
    I would image at minimum the majority of the authors who spend countless hours researching archives, photographs, etc. to find material for their works wouldn't mind a small insert or citation being used, especially on places like here, in order to better the hobby. I mean, that is probably the sole reason they do what they do, to help others with what they are so passionate about: it sure isn't for the money. What I think the main concern is, is when the entire tome is reproduced for all to use freely, key word being entire, and I don't think "fair use" applies to such a situation.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast