Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Delich Treasures, Rautet Eure Rauten! Rauten....

Article about: viz.

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    You're right; nothing to add, really.

So it's a mystery... Perhaps some prototype? Anyway, thanks for asking on my behalf!

EDIT: Going through my files, I have an idea about its possible nature, although it is admittedly pure speculation:

In an earlier exchange, d'alquen had mentioned to me finding period references about a proposed sleeve diamond for members of the Turnier- und Renngemeinschaft [Tournament- and Racing Community] of the SS.

I wonder... Could this be it?

It's probably just a typo, but that would be the 105th Standarte (Memel) whose personnel wore the elk antlers on the right hand collar patch. Mollo writes that officers of that regiment "with the rank of Standartenführer and above wore them on the arm badge, although only the commander SS-Oberführer Neumann did so."

(Of course, these high ranks wore their rank insignia on both collar patches, so for them, the elk antlers sleeve diamond would have "replaced" the collar patch device, in the same way the Edelweiß sleeve diamond "replaced" the collar patch symbol for officers ranked Standartenführer or higher of the 87th Standarte.)

However, I wonder whether that is correct... A 1939 order by Himmler individually authorized SS-Oberführer Dr. Ernst Neumann, leader of the Memel Germans, to wear the "elk antlers" sleeve diamond (interestingly, on the right sleeve), making no reference to other authorized officers and not even to that Standarte:

"SS-Oberführer Neumann erhält in Anerkennung seines vorbildlichen Kampfes als Führer der Memeldeutschen die Berechtigung, auf dem rechten Ärmel auf einer Raute die Elchschaufel, das Heimatabzeichen der Memeldeutschen zu tragen."

Also, as I understand it, Dr. Neumann was never the commander of that Standarte. As far as I know, its first commander was SS-Standartenführer Hermann Dethof.

So, was only Neumann authorized to wear this badge or was he, perhaps, individually authorized in addition to others? Perhaps d'alquen has some documentation on that.

I must say I find these minutiae endlessly interesting.

On the risk of digressing even further...:

The "elk antlers" device is the symbol of the Memel Germans and a carryover from the cap badges worn by the Memeldeutscher Ordnungsdienst, which was absorbed into the SS as the 105th Standarte after the annexation of the Memelland in 1939.
    For all practical purposes, this organization was the Allgemeine SS in the Memelland in everything but name and even prior to its full integration into the SS proper, wore a uniform that was remarkably close to the black SS service dress (with some HJ influences), but lacked any SS/NSDAP insignia; They wore blank collar patches, blank cuff titles and even black-edged Kampfbinden without the white disc with the Swastika. Interesting photographs can be found on:

Bilder, die Geschichte erzählen

(Just search for "Memeldeutscher".)
    Thank you, Andreas, as ever, for your exemplary citizenship from which others can learn so much.

Also thank you for the hint about the Sueddeutscher Verlag picture Fundus.

I guess there is a link with Scherl Verlag and these people somehow.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Delich Treasures,  Rautet Eure Rauten!   Rauten....
    P
    Many

Delich Treasures,  Rautet Eure Rauten!   Rauten....Delich Treasures,  Rautet Eure Rauten!   Rauten....Delich Treasures,  Rautet Eure Rauten!   Rauten....Pictures I found because of Andreas' fine research skills. Among others.

Quote by youthcollector1 View Post
    I really don't see how a correction was in order here...I was simply giving my thanks to Mr. Delich. Never did I classify the quality or ranking of his collection--something that's subjective anyways--by region, and nor did I say it wasn't the absolute best. Furthermore, saying it's "likely the world's [best]" isn't really that different from the dialogue previously used by myself. But if you must insist for whatever reason, correction noted.
    Let it go. A response was not necessary.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

wow stunning pieces!! most of it i have never seen.
    Great thanks to FB and Mr. Delich for allowing us to take a look at these great pieces of history!

it`s nice to see all those rare pieces of history together. We can all collect one or two pieces but to get so much in one place is something totally different.

regards, Job

Delich Treasures,  Rautet Eure Rauten!   Rauten....Now that some of you are here, do you please have the relevant document and or documents as regards who wore the SD badge? I know what is in Mollo, vol. V,, pp 42-3 of course,
    but some of you have done all the relevant research in the original sources. Thanks for your kind attention.

Delich Treasures,  Rautet Eure Rauten!   Rauten....Delich Treasures,  Rautet Eure Rauten!   Rauten....For those who do not know, this image is of the Heydrich funeral ceremonies in 1942.

?

Delich Treasures,  Rautet Eure Rauten!   Rauten....

From Uniformen-Markt

Thanks to David Delich for his kind sharing of his treasures and to FB for facilitating their display here.

Mr. Delich and Mr. d'Alquen say:

"...The badge was designed by Diebitsch for the racing and competition community of the SS and was to replace the wearing of the Hauptreitschule Muenchen title by qualified equestrians.....It made it all the way to being prepared for an announcement in the SS-Befehlsblatt and then promptly disappeared.

The sources are:
    Letter from Heissmeyer to Himmler I/A Az. 23 b /14.10.37
    Letter from Staff Fuehrer RFSS Personal Staff to Diebitsch Tgb. Nr.A/23/137 23.10.37
    Order from Himmler I/R Az. 23 d/ undated
    Letter from Diebitsch to RFSS 23.1.38"

Mr. Delich made a xerox of this badge under these conditions, typical of how the life of a collector is troubled by the greed of the ignorant.

Quote Delich:

"....Unfortunately, this particular raute is one I only have a
    photocopy of, and inserted a life-size example of it in
    among my other original pieces for the picture. Therefore,
    the example shown is the best I could provide utilizing a
    photocopy, and, therefore, I have no reverse image to
    show.
    I could have possessed an actual example, but could
    only obtain it if I purchased a grouping of other misc
    common SS cloth pieces that were tremendously overpriced.
    I recall that there were about a dozen common tabs and
    raute, but the fellow thought he had the crown jewels and
    wanted $10k for the batch..."

FB says: We have all been through such experiences.

Warm thanks to Mr. Delich and Mr. d'Alquen for their signal collaboration and insight into the most refined and arcane SS regalia.

We have such treasures here, and not on the lords of the flies pile.

CBH
    ?

I have a question regarding the NSKK SS-Rauten shown in Mr. Delich collection , it appears to be metallic tread . Were these the same as the NSKK issue badges ? Or was there an SS issue version , I've seen NSKK badges being sold on the ribbon , while my NSKK rauten has the sides folded under , is this just different makers or is it different badges all together ? I'd post a photo but I'm having computer problems .
    Cheers

?

Here is a nice image from bpk.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast