Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Double runes tabs

Article about: I believe it is in volume 7.

Default Double runes tabs

Hello all,
    I saw a pic on ebay.de of an SS officer in black uniform with SS runes on BOTH collar patches. What is this all about? Apologies in advance for my wretched ignorance in this department.
    Cheers!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Double runes tabs
    P
    Many

Default Re: Double runes tabs

Wearing the SS runes on both sides of the collar was authorised for a very short period in 1940. The order was quickly withdrawn, so images are rare.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Can you post a link to the auction? I don't think I have ever seen the wearing of double runic patches on the black uniform.
    d'alquen

Quote by d'alquen View Post
    Can you post a link to the auction? I don't think I have ever seen the wearing of double runic patches on the black uniform.
    d'alquen
    Neither have I.

Hi there,
    It is on ebay.de in the WWII militaria photo section, but I don't have the specific link, sorry.

Not much progress here, is there?

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Wearing the SS runes on both sides of the collar was authorised for a very short period in 1940. The order was quickly withdrawn, so images are rare.

Cheers, Ade.
    But such order applied, did it not solely to the field grey uniform whereupon were worn in certain cases military badges of rank, shoulder boards.....these were contentious items in the life of the army and those who wanted to be like soldiers. This phase was but one of many, it turns out, of total confusion among contemporaries on SS insignia in the era. The SS system of rank was that of the SA, which, in turn, was borrowed from the KuK Armee of rank on the collar patch. Also, the succulent lead of the Loch Ness monster object that turns into a stale f--t is so typical of these sites. I guess there was also the epoch where the SSVT badges were also dumped because they revealed the order of battle intelligence sought by the western allies, in turn. The black uniform of the SSVT, according to Beaver, was moth balled with the outbreak of war, and then later to be recycled, which did not happen in many cases, or else they would not endure in these collections. Happy patches to all.

I don't have a copy of the order introducing the matching collar tabs in 1939 but the order from May 1940 that specifies that the rank patch must be worn on the right collar is headed: "Field grey Uniform of the Waffen-SS, Sicherheitspolizei and the SD".
    Until I see that photograph I have my doubts that matching tabs were worn on the black uniform. Perhaps what was seen on ebay was a panzer uniform.
    d'alquen

Mollo does a good job of describing the desire among some SSVT people, also with Reichswehr lineage, to ape army uniforms.
    One should write an article on the unending chaos connected with SS insignia with illustrative case studies from the primary sources.
    Beginning collectors should then memorize same as proof of their iron will and character in order to collect these odd things.
    The SD and SIPO people also began to wear military style shoulder boards, which caused much uproar among soldiers. This issue is in Mollo and also in the collected edition of Himmler's directives in wartime published by Helmut Heiber.

Quote by d'alquen View Post
    I don't have a copy of the order introducing the matching collar tabs in 1939 but the order from May 1940 that specifies that the rank patch must be worn on the right collar is headed: "Field grey Uniform of the Waffen-SS, Sicherheitspolizei and the SD".
    Until I see that photograph I have my doubts that matching tabs were worn on the black uniform. Perhaps what was seen on ebay was a panzer uniform.
    d'alquen
    thanks. Is this order not reprinted in one of the volumes of Mollo as an addendum? In Vol III,or Vol. VI, or Vol. V? I cannot recall.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast