Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Early Black Tunic of SS Officer

Article about: The following is a photo of an early officer's tunic with what appears to be, at least to my eyes, evidence of an upgraded rank collar insignia. The photo is sharper than those more often en

?

Default Black Tunic of SS Officer

The following is a photo of an officer's tunic with what appears to be, at least to my eyes, evidence of an upgraded rank collar insignia. The photo is sharper than those more often encountered on the forum and offers up some nice detail in the tailoring. I can make out where one of the Sternchen for the lower rank left a hole in the material of the collar tab. Evidence is often found in surviving items of upgrades in rank, from caps with added velvet bands and/or officer cords to rank insignia, however, some collectors do raise red flags on those items. In this photo we are given a glimpse, I believe, of evidence of this type of thrift or conservation or unavailability of material. While the caution of the collector is warranted, sometimes the idea that the upgrade should be one of a prefect execution of tailoring and attention to detail results in the dismissal of a wholly authentic item. The photo below is just another piece of the puzzle that faces the collector, especially so regarding SS material.

Early Black Tunic of SS Officer
    Last edited by DrCMH; 08-14-2016 at 10:08 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Early Black Tunic of SS Officer
    P
    Many

Early Black Tunic of SS OfficerEarly Black Tunic of SS OfficerEarly Black Tunic of SS OfficerEarly Black Tunic of SS OfficerEarly Black Tunic of SS OfficerEarly Black Tunic of SS OfficerEarly Black Tunic of SS OfficerEarly Black Tunic of SS OfficerEarly Black Tunic of SS OfficerEarly Black Tunic of SS OfficerWell said and wholly true. Collector group think by the keepers of check lists---totally incapable of grasping thrift in the first half of the 20th century, because they purchase their tee shirts and flip flops at Walmart or whatever-- cannot take Dr. CMH's point. Erich Kempka was likely better paid than some, but I have often seen persons who retain their
    rank insignia and just add one or two extra Sternchen without getting a whole new jacket. Not in the SS mind you, but in contemporary European armies.
    One of you can check in the rank lists when he was promoted and so forth. Happy patches to you all.

Early Black Tunic of SS OfficerEarly Black Tunic of SS OfficerEarly Black Tunic of SS OfficerEarly Black Tunic of SS OfficerEarly Black Tunic of SS OfficerEarly Black Tunic of SS OfficerEarly Black Tunic of SS OfficerEarly Black Tunic of SS OfficerEarly Black Tunic of SS OfficerI recall a figure on the berserk website who went postal because a button was replaced on a black tunic or otherwise something was altered. The same figure also became unhinged because an overcoat was restored and so forth. Such a thing was very normal in the time and, as Bob Coleman reminds us,
    collectors pillaged Dienstroecke for collar patches and cuff titles and so forth. The key here are the society and economy of another time.
    The idea that textiles were rationed from a certain date, and how this ration system worked are always beyond the comprehension of those who have never known a shortage
    of consumer goods in their short and ill informed lives.

Happy collecting Dr. CMH and thanks for sharing your wise insights.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 08-14-2016 at 05:09 PM.

?

Thanks, FB. The fact was and is, these items were used and, by some, on a daily basis. That anything survives intact at all is a wonder to me. I have two tunics that have the buttons moved to "let out" or "take in" the item a bit to allow for a change in the wearer's girth. It's just a part to the items authenticity that whispers clues about the original owner and their life and reaches us in the present day from over the vastness of time.

Early Black Tunic of SS OfficerEarly Black Tunic of SS OfficerEarly Black Tunic of SS OfficerEarly Black Tunic of SS OfficerEarly Black Tunic of SS Officer

Quote by DrCMH View Post
    Thanks, FB. The fact was and is, these items were used and, by some, on a daily basis. That anything survives intact at all is a wonder to me. I have two tunics that have the buttons moved to "let out" or take in the item a bit to allow for a change in the wearer's girth. It's just a part to the items authenticity that whispers clues about the original owner and their life and reaches us in the present day from over the vastness of time.

Well said. Such reflection proves too much for certain figures, whose very limited mental strength and incapacity to juggle contradictory facts, cause their puerile
    outbursts and infantile tantrums.

Bravo for your Germania Montur and the display.