Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Early Grey Service Cap with Runes

Article about: by d'alquen This may have due to supply issues or could possibly have been political in nature, (with only the LAH being seen to wear the uniform of the army during a period when the relatio

?

Default Re: Early Grey Service Cap with Runes

I remember this hat well, it's probably my favorite of all time apart from the waffenfarbe caps I've owned.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Early Grey Service Cap with Runes
    P
    Many

Early Grey Service Cap with RunesEarly Grey Service Cap with RunesEarly Grey Service Cap with RunesEarly Grey Service Cap with Runes
    Quote by N.C. Wyeth View Post
    That could be said many more times . . . the black caps are interesting - rare to degree, but common, even so when marked in this manner.

It is the grey version that piques the interest more, when placed side-by-side with it's counterpart . . .
    hats and hats and hats.

?

Reach out and touch faith..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Early Grey Service Cap with Runes   Early Grey Service Cap with Runes  

Early Grey Service Cap with Runes   Early Grey Service Cap with Runes  

Attached Images Attached Images Early Grey Service Cap with Runes 

In reply to the query about the introduction of grey uniforms and caps the earliest documents I have seen from late 1934 refer, interestingly enough, to the "new colour" without mentioning field grey, earth grey or earth brown. Certainly the LAH was fully equipped with grey clothing in early 1935 and their documents use the term field grey.
    d'Alquen

Quote by d'alquen View Post
    In reply to the query about the introduction of grey uniforms and caps the earliest documents I have seen from late 1934 refer, interestingly enough, to the "new colour" without mentioning field grey, earth grey or earth brown. Certainly the LAH was fully equipped with grey clothing in early 1935 and their documents use the term field grey.
    d'Alquen
    Thank you very much. In reading the RZM thingies and the few SS orders I have seen, this self referencing syndrome is very strong. This "we know, but you don't" quality about it all makes these very difficult sources to use.
    Glad we are that you have devoted years to reading them with the care and attention that you have.

?

Many thanks for this data as it calls into question how such a cap ended up with 2nd pattern zinc insignia. I have no doubt that the question isn't a puzzle but rather a natural progression of what was issued.

Early Grey Service Cap with RunesEarly Grey Service Cap with Runesanother one, with similar insignia.

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    another one, with similar insignia.
    There we go! Ben can sleep well tonight, knowing this fellow had a cranium of minor dimension, yet similar taste in decorum . . .

?

damn, I thought these things were rare!

I should have added to my post above that in 1935 only the Leibstandarte-SS were allowed to wear field grey. The SS-VT and the Allgemeine-SS were forbidden to wear it and were ordered to wear earth grey for training and in the field. This may have due to supply issues or could possibly have been political in nature, (with only the LAH being seen to wear the uniform of the army during a period when the relationship between the army and the armed SS was sensitive at best).
    d'Alquen

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast