Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Early Grey Service Cap with Runes

Article about: by d'alquen This may have due to supply issues or could possibly have been political in nature, (with only the LAH being seen to wear the uniform of the army during a period when the relatio

Default Re: Early Grey Service Cap with Runes

Quote by d'alquen View Post
    This may have due to supply issues or could possibly have been political in nature, (with only the LAH being seen to wear the uniform of the army during a period when the relationship between the army and the armed SS was sensitive at best).
    d'Alquen
    Considering the political situation of the immediate moment, and the attitude of the former Army of Imperial Germany, I think that is the most sensible explanation . . .

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Early Grey Service Cap with Runes
    P
    Many

Early Grey Service Cap with RunesThe work that illuminates the party military conflict is this one. The late KJ Mueller describes in detail the civil military conflict associated with the creation and evolution of the SSVT. I first read this book four decades ago when I began seriously to collect this regalia.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 03-03-2013 at 03:46 AM.

?

Here's another example of such a service cap currently being offered by Ulric of England.
    I'm not sure who takes their photos and I'm no David Bailey myself but I would suggest that maybe some light might help sell their offerings!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Early Grey Service Cap with Runes   Early Grey Service Cap with Runes  

Thanks. The photos on said site aren't too great, but I am surely no cracker jack picture taker. Ben makes good pictures.

That is a nice, rare cap, indeed.

One should always be cautious when speculating in the absence of facts. Earlier in the thread I wondered if the order for the SS-VT to wear earth grey instead of field grey was politically motivated. This document from May 9, 1935 provides a far more prosaic reason. It appears at that point in time there were sufficient stocks of earth grey material to last for a further three years.
    d'Alquen
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Early Grey Service Cap with Runes  

?

As always, an excellent contribution to the collective knowledge.

Thank you.

CMH

Early Grey Service Cap with Runes
    Quote by d'alquen View Post
    One should always be cautious when speculating in the absence of facts. Earlier in the thread I wondered if the order for the SS-VT to wear earth grey instead of field grey was politically motivated. This document from May 9, 1935 provides a far more prosaic reason. It appears at that point in time there were sufficient stocks of earth grey material to last for a further three years.
    d'Alquen
    Thank you. Your document fits with so many others in which thrift as well as the shortages of textiles in connection with rearmament played a role in the economy of the III. Reich.
    A marvelous document with exactly the subtle detail seldom found in secondary works.

?

I wonder why the LSSAH were not prohibited to wear feldgrau during this period?

Quote by BenVK View Post
    I wonder why the LSSAH were not prohibited to wear feldgrau during this period?
    Political reasons?

At this time the German army was not fond of the ss, more or less Hitlers own bodyguard unit. I assume wearing feldgrau would be at this time reserved for the army to show that the ss had no intension of overtaking the primary military position. This is just an opinion.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast