Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Early Grey Service Cap with Runes

Article about: by d'alquen This may have due to supply issues or could possibly have been political in nature, (with only the LAH being seen to wear the uniform of the army during a period when the relatio

Default Re: Early Grey Service Cap with Runes

Damn. That's a nice hat!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Early Grey Service Cap with Runes
    P
    Many

Early Grey Service Cap with Runes
    Quote by d'alquen View Post
    In reply to the query about the introduction of grey uniforms and caps the earliest documents I have seen from late 1934 refer, interestingly enough, to the "new colour" without mentioning field grey, earth grey or earth brown. Certainly the LAH was fully equipped with grey clothing in early 1935 and their documents use the term field grey.
    d'Alquen
    Apropos the question posed in # 48.

I think another aspect is found in the civil military status of the Leibstandarte and the SSVT in the period 1934 until 1938 versus other entities.

The Klaus Juergen Mueller and the Bernd Wegner books treat the above issue (not the color of textiles, but civil military relations....).

Quote by youthcollector1 View Post
    At this time the German army was not fond of the ss, more or less Hitlers own bodyguard unit. I assume wearing feldgrau would be at this time reserved for the army to show that the ss had no intension of overtaking the primary military position. This is just an opinion.
    There is much merit in this analysis, see my post and the sources I cite.

"I wonder why the LSSAH were not prohibited to wear feldgrau during this period?"
    Ben,
    I have not come across a document that provides any specific clues as to why the Leibstandarte were kitted out in field grey. I do know that Himmler still wanted them to retain their political identity as members of the SS. The document below from July 1935 supports this as it is a letter from Himmler to Dietrich wanting the name of the officer who had the gall to order field grey shirts despite Himmler's order stating that the SS brown shirt must be worn with the field grey uniform.
    d'Alquen
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Early Grey Service Cap with Runes  

One should always be cautious when speculating in the absence of facts. Earlier in the thread I wondered if the order for the SS-VT to wear earth grey instead of field grey was politically motivated. This document from May 9, 1935 provides a far more prosaic reason. It appears at that point in time there were sufficient stocks of earth grey material to last for a further three years.
    d'Alquen
    Certainly availability of stock and thrift had much to do with the decision, but i would caution that political motivations should not be overlooked either . . . by reading that document, I suppose we should be grateful that an over-abundance of fabric in pink was not available at that moment in time.

Early Grey Service Cap with RunesEarly Grey Service Cap with Runes
    "I wonder why the LSSAH were not prohibited to wear feldgrau during this period?"
    Ben,
    I have not come across a document that provides any specific clues as to why the Leibstandarte were kitted out in field grey. I do know that Himmler still wanted them to retain their political identity as members of the SS. The document below from July 1935 supports this as it is a letter from Himmler to Dietrich wanting the name of the officer who had the gall to order field grey shirts despite Himmler's order stating that the SS brown shirt must be worn with the field grey uniform.
    d'Alquen
    Thank you for another of the fruits of your excellent research. This kind of scolding is typical of Himmler. In the volume of his speeches published 40 years ago, there are also statements about the inviolable character of the brown shirt in various orders of dress.

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    There is much merit in this analysis, see my post and the sources I cite.
    Thank you sir. I will look for that cite.

Early Grey Service Cap with RunesSome of this is also in vol. III of Mollo if memory serves. There were also a series of agreements on the civil military character of the SSVT, and its relationship to the army in the years 1934 until 1939 which I cannot recall in detail. Klietmann refers to them, but also they are all in Wegner, if not in K J Mueller.

Early Grey Service Cap with RunesEarly Grey Service Cap with RunesBut the real sources, that is, the nice things that Mr. d'Alquen shares with us are always the most exciting to me, at least.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 04-07-2013 at 05:57 AM.

?

Hi Ben , what a splendid cap, and one that i am sure you are thrilled with ,it just shows that these pieces are still out there if you know where to look and you always show your skill in sourcing excellent pieces,i hope i get the chance to see it in person someday. Another point to note is that when a truly fine piece is shown the amount of researched and well informed assistance that is posted is a joy to behold and makes the subject even more pleasurable and interesting . I have only ever seen two grey caps with all three markings, one at CALL TO ARMS in Islington and at MuswelL Hill many moons ago both now long gone

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast