Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Early Leather Peaked SS Cap

Article about: Hello, I would really appreciate your opinions on this cap. Thank you in advance, Grant.

?

Early Leather Peaked SS CapEarly Leather Peaked SS CapEarly Leather Peaked SS Cap

The textiles varied in quality and ruggedness. The earlier caps used a finer grade of wool and the later EM/NCO (as seen in the first image) had a more discernible weave. The earliest caps had a wonderful textile as can be observed in FB's images. The second photo is of an enlisted cap of earlier (relative to the three caps shown) make that has been upgraded to officer rank. Note the difference in the textile. The quality of materials tended to decline as time marched on. The final image is of an officer's visor that is of roughly the same point of manufacture as the cap in the first image (give or take) and is the standard material of this rank although one could opt for finer textiles, even silk, if one so desired.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Early Leather Peaked SS Cap
    P
    Many

Hello, Yes, I see, DrCMH. So like other items in the TR, as the war went on, so did the quality of materials. So the hat in question, [original thread], can be identified as fake because of the lesser quality fabric is wrong for that period?

?

Quote by KEVIN23 View Post
    Hi, It appears to me, by looking at your photos FB, that the SS used a type of wool {textile} altogether different from the other branches of service in the TR. Seems most visors have a light pattern in the cloth, from what I see, this is not present in the SS visors.
    FB has some great threads on the textiles used on SS visors and this sticky thread is a treasure trove of information...

Types Materials for SS Visor Hats

Thanks for your help in an area Im trying to understand.

?

Hello, Yes, I see, DrCMH. So like other items in the TR, as the war went on, so did the quality of materials. So the hat in question, [original thread], can be identified as fake because of the lesser quality fabric is wrong for that period?
    I agree with FB for many reasons regarding the original cap in question. The textile used is only one component of my assessment and I have seen some early caps made with this type of textile, or, I should say, a textile differing from the Melton wool. One must look at the whole picture in order to come up with a definitive answer regarding authenticity. I am, like FB, inclined to say "nein" on the cap. The textiles certainly did decline in time as did workmanship due to the loss of skilled labor to the war/war effort.

Hi, It appears to me, by looking at your photos FB, that the SS used a type of wool {textile} altogether different from the other branches of service in the TR. Seems most visors have a light pattern in the cloth, from what I see, this is not present in the SS visors.
    No, the wool was used in other branches of uniformed organizations. The wool was black, of course, and in the early caps, i.e. prior to late 1935, was a melton wool, generally, of high quality. The first cap is of Trikotage of a kind found in many good fakes. The first cap also has lousy badges. It is otherwise close to an original.
    But it is not an original, at least from the images. Dr. CMH is a very fine collector and has wonderful pictures.

Early Leather Peaked SS CapEarly Leather Peaked SS Cap
    Quote by DrCMH View Post
    Early Leather Peaked SS CapEarly Leather Peaked SS CapEarly Leather Peaked SS Cap

The textiles varied in quality and ruggedness. The earlier caps used a finer grade of wool and the later EM/NCO (as seen in the first image) had a more discernible weave. The earliest caps had a wonderful textile as can be observed in FB's images. The second photo is of an enlisted cap of earlier (relative to the three caps shown) make that has been upgraded to officer rank. Note the difference in the textile. The quality of materials tended to decline as time marched on. The final image is of an officer's visor that is of roughly the same point of manufacture as the cap in the first image (give or take) and is the standard material of this rank although one could opt for finer textiles, even silk, if one so desired.
    You can see here the two kinds of Trikotage, especially in the second the finer variety.

The officer cap ca. 1937-8 has a doeskin of lesser quality to the melton cloth in earlier caps.

Here is a silk cap.

Early Leather Peaked SS CapThe Oberfuehrermuetze also had a better quality of wool than the average ca. 1938 SS officer's cap.

MAP
    ?

A silly beginner question. But is the direction of the Trikot weave on the OP's hat a yellow flag. Right side of the skull (on the picture) has the weave in a 45 degree. Left side appears to have it at a vertical axis.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    A silly beginner question. But is the direction of the Trikot weave on the OP's hat a yellow flag. Right side of the skull (on the picture) has the weave in a 45 degree. Left side appears to have it at a vertical axis.
    No.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast