Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Early SS Armband Opinions Please

Article about: by Friedrich-Berthold Do let me say this to you all: one criterion that is essential to me is the smell in the cotton of the dye, which, since there is no smell o vision, it is impossible to

Default Re: Early SS Armband Opinions Please

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    Do let me say this to you all: one criterion that is essential to me is the smell in the cotton of the dye, which, since there is no smell o vision, it is impossible to determine. The brilliant red dye (an orange red....) had a distinct odor, which I first encountered fifty two years ago as a child. I can recall it like Proust and his madelines. I always smell all textiles, as well as feel them. The seven senses are crucial to telling with this material.
    haaaa Glad you have come out and said this as i was told the same thing years a go about smell .. i do the same people think i am mad like other items you cant fake that musty smell . of a side note the orange red color shows a difference in its color compared to its german counterpart , i found this out using dutch party flags aganist german made ones .

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Early SS Armband Opinions Please
    P
    Many

Early SS Armband Opinions PleaseEarly SS Armband Opinions PleaseEarly SS Armband Opinions PleaseEarly SS Armband Opinions PleaseEarly SS Armband Opinions PleaseEarly SS Armband Opinions PleaseEarly SS Armband Opinions PleaseEarly SS Armband Opinions PleaseEarly SS Armband Opinions PleaseFollowed in subsequent years by these, which perhaps Mr. Andrei 1774 will understand in my answer as now a member of our community....

Forgive me, but I'm quite confused. Hawkins, are you saying that the original armband posted and the armband posted by yourself are one in the same? If so, I think you may be mistaken. If not, I apologize.

Quote by hawkins View Post
    haaaa Glad you have come out and said this as i was told the same thing years a go about smell .. i do the same people think i am mad like other items you cant fake that musty smell . of a side not the orange red color shows a difference in its color compared to its german counterpart , i found this out using dutch party flags aganist german made ones .
    There is nothing mad about it at all. I scratch and sniff like the dog, whom I love, and I see no penalty to it. Old textiles feel old and smell old. New textiles do not. There is a book store in Bonn that has cloth bags which are the same blood red, this orange red, as used in the era. The bags are made of cotton, and they, too, smell like arm bands and flags of the epoch.
    The internet pictures are hardly the way to collect solely. Also a magnifying glass shows the hidden aspects of age. I use them all.

Quote by youthcollector1 View Post
    Forgive me, but I'm quite confused. Hawkins, are you saying that the original armband posted and the armband posted by yourself are one in the same? If so, I think you may be mistaken. If not, I apologize.
    No i am not saying they are one in the same ... i am saying there are things that i look for my self .. and hands on is best and going over and over it day after day ,the first one to me does not jump right out saying fake as, thats just my opinion , but as f b has showin the swaz arms on his early one so the arms are done in a bevo weave and i think the one i had was as well . i am not saying the first one is fine i am saying it needs a bit more depih analysis before the guillotin falls , only way we will all get a understanding

No i am not saying they are one in the same i am saying there are things that i look for my self and hands on is best and going over and over it day after day ,the first one to me does not jump right out saying fake as, thats just my opinion , but as f b has showin the swaz arms on his early one so the arms are done in a bevo weave and i think the one i had was as well . i am not saying the first one is fine i am saying it needs a bit more depih analysis before the guillotin falls , only way we will all get a understanding
    Thank you. I cannot claim any expertise in home made insignia, or insignia from say, prior to 1933 and the standardization regime that set in with the full control of the RZM.
    I am sure that there are many variations, which, if authentic would be very rare and desirable.
    The NSDAP had a collection of its early uniforms, the fate of which I do not know.
    It is always possible that we come upon something authentic that is an exception, and we all make a mistake.
    However, in the Bob Jones piece, I had the impression that it is not of the proper age, but such comes from actually handling it.
    The arm band from my childhood is not an early piece at all. It is merely nostalgic for me.

No i am not saying they are one in the same ... i am saying there are things that i look for my self .. and hands on is best and going over and over it day after day ,the first one to me does not jump right out saying fake as, thats just my opinion , but as f b has showin the swaz arms on his early one so the arms are done in a bevo weave and i think the one i had was as well . i am not saying the first one is fine i am saying it needs a bit more depih analysis before the guillotin falls , only way we will all get a understanding
    Thank you for clearing that up for me.

Quote by youthcollector1 View Post
    Thank you for clearing that up for me.
    Your wellcome I have been on both sides of the fence when it comes to asking and we all need to at times or we would not be here , i had a great and some what a nightmare here some time back with lah tunic i came across it makes a good read of how things can go , And how one person can sow the seeds of doubt , The guy even had me thinking i did not know what i was talking about , But Bob c and John pick and A rrain saved the day , o And my self haaaaa

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    Thank you for your apology. My comments were in no way directed against you as a person, but reflected my assessment of the object.
    I regret that you chose to misinterpret my assessment, which was not personal or ad hominem in any way. Nor was my reason for my answer maliciously to harm your business dealings in a hurtful way.
    Persons ask twenty times a day here about items which are next door or across the ocean, and one never knows the full story. It is a situation ripe with conflict. I have enough of that without this additional unhappiness.
    You can easily see, further, that on line attacks do nothing for you and your prospects with this material. We are subjected constantly to persons arriving here with attempts to sell fakes, which happened, in fact, yesterday.
    It is also true that persons can honestly believe an item is real. Also true is that I am hardly infallible and make no claim to be at all.
    Cotton SS arm bands are rare. I enclosed examples I know to be real.
    Most important, people can disagree like mature adults and address the conflict in this material in a constructive way. This constructive disagreement is the exception, and hardly common.
    However, this site has been constructed by its moderators on a basis of good conduct, and thanks to Andrei for his engagement now of our principles.
    Thank you for your apology and you are welcome to join us in this spirit.
    Thank you. Let me introduce myself. My name is Andrei and I am collecting primary TR badges and medals, specialized on Ostvolkers awards.
    I was behaved not right mistakenly, thinking , that somebody try to make me look like a faker and you know, it is a worst feeling for collector. (by the way I am not a dealer , just a collector like all of us, selling extra stuff, which is not merge to the field of your collecting).
    I would really interesting to solve the misery of this armband and will try to post more additional pics. ( I even didn't had any idea that the cotton ones kind of scarce).
    Thanks for your help.

Thank you, Andrei, and again, I am sorry for the false impression and any misunderstanding, which is nearly automatic in this digital medium.
    I have been wrongly assaulted many times since the year 2000 when I started to dabble in this, and I know exactly how hurtful and wrong such a thing can be.
    You are very welcome to join us and I am sure that your expertise will benefit us, in turn, as anything connected with eastern Europe enjoys great interest and following here.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast