Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Early wedding photo

Article about: by Friedrich-Berthold Moreover, there was also a leadership school for the Allgemeine SS at Dachau, was there not? Indeed, there was: by Friedrich-Berthold The SS Dienstalterliste of 1944 fo

Default Re: Early wedding photo

Quote by d'alquen View Post
    HPL,
    i have fished out a few old files as you requested. The earliest motoring order I have is from 1934 that states that the men in a motoring outfit were to wear a cuff band with a sliver grey embroidered wheel device. The collar patch bore the number of their unit together with an "M". At this date there were 30 motoring units and the pricelists from that period offer those tabs M1 to M30. Interestingly, the lists do not include a cufftitle.
    Then there was a brief period when the cuffband featured the M plus number.
    From 1935 onwards the cufftitle carried just the sturm number.
    Interestingly I found a document from 1936, when the Motorstandarten were being re-organised, requesting that their cuffband adopt pink coloured edging. Nothing came of it.
    After 1936 the collar patches were offered from M1 to M13, (up to M20 by 1939 after the anchluss).
    Here is a picture of that first wheel cuff title.
    Derek
    Thanks. Very interesting material.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Early wedding photo
    P
    Many

Excellent information indeed. Many thanks!

At this date there were 30 motoring units and the pricelists from that period offer those tabs M1 to M30.
    For illustration, allow me to add an image of the "M 30" collar patch in wear:
    Early wedding photo

Very nice photograph ca. 1934 or not?
    Thanks for the illustration.
    Here is a similar cap in good condition.Early wedding photoEarly wedding photo

Thanks HPL for the shot. Motorstandarte 30 came under the auspices of SS-Oberabschnitt Rhein but I do not have a precise location. Does your picture offer any clues?
    d'alquen

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    Very nice photograph ca. 1934 or not?
    Motorstandarte 30 came under the auspices of SS-Oberabschnitt Rhein but I do not have a precise location. Does your picture offer any clues?
    Sorry, but the image of the M30-member is a detail from a photograph of a larger, mixed group of Allgemeine SS members. It is undated and has no additional information on the back. Ca. 1934 does seem right for the timeframe.

Early wedding photoEarly wedding photoEarly wedding photoEarly wedding photoEarly wedding photoEarly wedding photoCollar patch.

Thank you everyone for the additional info added to this thread.

To answer requests for more detailed photos etc, I'm afraid to say that after my mother's death [2011], my dear brother removed everything and we're nolonger in possession of it, so I can't magnify the badge above the cuff title.

Interestingly though, we did also have his swastika arm band which was identical in every respect to the one pictured above from forum member Friedrich-Berthold. I've sent a request to my mum's half sister, who may have additional photos and info on dates etc... but as an aside, I'll let you know she was horrified to know her father was even in the SS: her mother [mum's step-mum] was of Jewish decent. I found that difficult to believe, but it's true.

He kept it all very quiet, and may have even married her to somehow obscure his past connections ... who knows. As the family history goes, I was told at the end of the war he buried his black uniform, and was eventually captured by the British in Belgium. I have copies of these papers and in them it says he was a 'grenadier'.

He survived, but was later killed on a motorcycle when he hit the back of a truck in thick fog [1957]. Also, as an aside, and from what I remember being told as a child, my mother can remember his long black leather coat, and recalling him being violently sick after some assignment [whilst living in Berlin]. I remember also seeing a couple of barrack shots: one with his kit neatly laid out, and one where it appears he's in dress uniform with white gloves & rifle, in what we thought was the Leibstandarte, on some kind of guard duty... and this is where the notion of him being part of Hitler's bodyguard arose. This is what I was told.

Happy Christmas all.
    Last edited by Larry C; 12-24-2016 at 02:17 PM.

?

Another first rate collaboration between a few of our heavy hitters. Thank you HPL2008, d'alquen and F-B.

Early wedding photoEarly wedding photoThese things are very complicated. Mr. d'Alquen gave us this document some time ago.
    Only a person very steeped in these details and familiar with the secondary works can make sense of it.
    We are lucky that Mr. d'Alquen and Wim Saris guide us along this twisted path here.

Cuff title image, ca. 2011, courtesy Whammond.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast