Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Earth-brown SS-VT uniform

Article about: The attached are in no order whatsoever. The Eskimo cap cover with the Hoheitszeichen is an image of my cap that someone has altered....go figure. Who can match the images to the headings in

Default Re: Earth-brown SS-VT uniform

what color is this uniform and what is the date of said picture?

This is a 1934 uniform described by none of the secondary works of which I am aware.....taken, I think, from the training base organization of the SA which offered a large cadre to the SSVT.

I ask my better to elucidate here.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Earth-brown SS-VT uniform  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Earth-brown SS-VT uniform
    P
    Many

I briefly owned a cotton SSTV earth brown tunic devoid of insignia in the early 1970s, which I stupidly sold. I kept the cap somewhat longer, but stupidly sold it, too.

Wie dumm von mir.

I imagine that the Hoheitszeichen on the arm emerged in the course of 1935, along with the advent of field grey in the LAH, but I do not know this for certain.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Earth-brown SS-VT uniform  

Quote by Fultz View Post
    Thank you so much, Friedrich-Berthold. So it would be fair to say then that Totenkopf erdbraun was effectively the same heathered greeny-brown as SA overcoats, and not that different from so-called "Feldgrau 44?"

Please bear with me here as I try to get all this straight, and correct me where I screw up:

At the end of 1934 or early 1935, the black uniform being impractical for daily wear, Eicke's Inspectorate of Concentration Camps (not yet the SS-TV) issued a service uniform in "erdbraun;" this was cut identically to the black, save that two epaulettes were worn. This was a working uniform only, not to be worn outside the camps. I think this is the case, but there plainly were other work uniforms prior to this one as indicated in my images

I *think* that the sleeve-eagle didn't appear immediately. The skull cap-badge was still the jawless Danziger type until 1936.

what is referred to as the SS style of cap badge Totenschaedel actually emerged in late 1933 and went into general wear in the course of 1934---with notable exceptions for years thereafter

Does anyone know when the Totenkopf collar tabs started?

there are files about this issue here, and the guess is in 1935. Read Sydnor's book on the ambitions of Eicke

Before 27 March 1936, one assumes- perhaps because the camp staffs and the school at Dachau didn't belong to any Standarte and thus had no number-patches? Was Eicke (who had ambitions to build his own army) playing catch-up to the LSSAH's Sig-runes?

Then by 1937-38 the SS-TV shifted to standard feldgrau uniforms of the VT/Waffen-SS type.

I believe so....since by 1938 these organizations were all subjected to regular military training and higher interoperability with the army.....the images of SSTV units in the Anschluss in March 1938 are plainly in the same field grey as the cap I included above, i.e. the bluish field grey

----------------

The caps pictured have interesting mixtures of insignia: the side-cap with embroidered alterer Art eagle, but new-pattern SS skull button (possibly a replacement, whereas the embroiderd eagle was original????). The visor has the reverse- old skull and SS eagle. I guess during the transition period there was a lot of mixing and matching, nicht wahr?
    See above. I cannot claim any real authority on this, as I collect black uniforms. Therein lies a greater degree of sanity than the alternatives.

Fultz
    ?

My, that photo's a poser. As a first stab the uniforms themselves look like Reichswehr out of Army stores. I seem to recall that in '35 Dachau was actually emptied temporarily for Eicke's first "field exercise"- perhaps the Heer uniforms were part of this? But the kepis???? I do note that Totenkopf collar tabs are present, which would apparently make this 1935 or later.

When did the SS-TV change from Allgm-SS to Heer-style shoulderborads?

The photo I posted with the unknown uniform has collar patches with an "A" which is, I think, the Ausbildungswesen, i.e. training organization of the SA which entered in large numbers into the Politische Bereitschaften and later SSVT.

Again, the answers to all your queries are in the Mollo books.

No serious SS collector can be without them, as well as the Beaver books.

There are also others here who know far more about this than I do, and can well answer these questions.

I would note, though, that since more and more people secure all knowledge about regalia from the internet and do not deepen themselves in old fahsion books, the result is a balkan-ized knowledge, a drib and drab effect, which is not especially helpful to the seeker of same.

Fultz
    ?

No serious SS collector can be without them, as well as the Beaver books.
    "Serious SS collector" is a class of people with more money than I...

Quote by Fultz View Post
    "Serious SS collector" is a class of people with more money than I...

Forgive me, please, my hectoring tone, but I am an old fashioned person fixated on movable type and the printed word. I guess I show my age and I do not want to promote class warfare here with my dicta about books at a time of economic distress far and wide.

Maybe someone can scan the relevant pages of Mollo or even Beaver here as an aid to our seeker of knowledge.

I bought the Mollo books as a young pup from the author himself, while in London in 1971. Many of them were in turn eaten by vermin several years later, in a horrible event that befell part of my library. I have a big library, actually, which I guess also makes me something of a freak.

It is why I still have nightmares about critters, cellulose and fibers of all kinds....

Happy regalia to all who might read this.

caps and books. It is daunting how fragile these things really are....
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Earth-brown SS-VT uniform   Earth-brown SS-VT uniform  

an image of note. This chap has the same kind of cotton blouse in the cut of the Dienstrock and appears to wear a brassard.

further....the figure on the right is a PL and not an SS man.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast