Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Estonia Division Tabs Opinions

Article about: The first two you have shown are the Second pattern cloth tab issued by the Germans , the last picture is a metal Tartu design , although both feature the E and the Arm with a sword they are

Default Estonia Division Tabs Opinions

I was sent some pics of a couple different variants of the Estonia Division Tabs, I told my friend that I did not like material these were made on, but I could be wrong, and wanted to post them here for review.. The tabs appear to have the silver silk floss type thread for the design.. I know these are a rare tab design, and I hope they are the real deal for my friend.. Please tell me what you think.. And thank you in advance..

Estonia Division Tabs OpinionsEstonia Division Tabs OpinionsEstonia Division Tabs OpinionsEstonia Division Tabs Opinions

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Estonia Division Tabs Opinions
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Estonia Division Tabs Opinions

The top design never exisetd in a cloth format , only in metal and this was a locally made design from Tartu.

The second one is the first German design which was unpopular with the Estonian troops but i don't beleive it to be correct i'm afraid !!

cheers

paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

There is a picture on ebay showing the said cloth tab in wear

Nick
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Estonia Division Tabs Opinions  
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Yes i've been watching it Nick , this is the metal Tartu version !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Angolia's book on cloth SS insignia shows a couple of cloth versions of the type with the arm. One is credited to Bob Hritz. However, both are different in detail to the one shown here. One is said to be locally made and the other German made? I cannot vouch for the accuracy of this info and I include it here simply for interest and debate.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Ade i'm glad you have mentioned the Angolia book as this is an interesting debate and worth some discussion here !! The tab which is claimed to be German made cannot be correct as no such tab existed made by the Germans. The locally made tab is a bone of contention , as far as i know no genuine cloth tabs with provenance of the same style as early Tartu medal tab exist although some collectors beleive that it is more than possible that these were made on a small , local scale during the war , as i say i've not heard of one with provenance and other Estonian collectors of my aquintance have no knowledge of the existance of a genuine one.

I have been lucky enought to view the large collection of one of the biggest collectors in Estonia , who has numerous original Estonian collar tabs , armshields , documents etc many obtained direct from Estonian SS Veterans or their families over many years none of which are a cloth tab of the Tartu pattern metal arm and E.

I wonder if Bob can provide any info on where his tab came from ?

cheers

Paul

1st July 1916

I'm confused - surely this is the cloth version of the first design .. ?
    Picture shown by Kass , Estonia .
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Estonia Division Tabs Opinions  

And this one .. ? Or are we talking about the SIZE of the " E " & the small sword .. ?
    Attached Images Attached Images Estonia Division Tabs Opinions 

Meaning this one is metal .. ?

Looks like we have some peroid pics of a cloth version..
    I awlays thought there were only a metal version as well..
    I may be wrong here..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast