Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Execute The Fakes!

Article about: Hello Annoyed from this ads?   Have you ever destroyed any of the fake SS or any items you found? You all keep mentioning the bin and tossing it, but did you ever do that? Ever take a h

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    In addition to the very good points made by Friedrich-Berthold, DrPMC and Glenn let me add the observation that, rather than destroying them, fake items that have found their way into a collector's possession should be retained for reference and study.

Analyzing the characteristics of original items is essential, but acquainting oneself with those of typical fakes is vital as well.

(Of course, it should be ensured that they don't find their way back into the market.)
    Precisely. One doesn't need to destroy the fake in it's entirety. If you're that worried about it, mark it in a way that's irreversible as a copy. This way it will never be sold as an original again, yet collectors can still study the characteristics of such an object and learn what makes it not original.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Execute The Fakes!
    P
    Many

?

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    In addition to the very good points made by Friedrich-Berthold, DrPMC and Glenn let me add the observation that, rather than destroying them, fake items that have found their way into a collector's possession should be retained for reference and study.

Analyzing the characteristics of original items is essential, but acquainting oneself with those of typical fakes is vital as well.

(Of course, it should be ensured that they don't find their way back into the market.)
    Well said, and not to mention the fakes that really aren't fakes. I've sometimes found myself reading other forums (not the big militaria ones) where people post obviously real items only to receive replies stating simply "it's a repro." Hopefully those items weren't destroyed.

Quote by Erno View Post
    Well said, and not to mention the fakes that really aren't fakes. I've sometimes found myself reading other forums (not the big militaria ones) where people post obviously real items only to receive replies stating simply "it's a repro." Hopefully those items weren't destroyed.
    Thanks for a fateful and important point. The litany of false positives in this thing is shocking and appalling. We have a number of people who either out of ignorance or out of malice of forethought spread
    misinformation. Some of us do all we can to exclude those people at least from here.

?

Wow, I had no idea this could go wrong in so many ways. I'll be sure to halt this thinking.

Thanks for the comments, it's just ridiculous how the fakes are out there. Wouldn't it be great if there were only originals like the US military artifacts?

We should burn this thread instead.

Execute The Fakes!Please read this carefully: there were fakes of Nazi regalia prior to 30 January 1933. The Nazis were outraged by fakes after 30 January 1933, and employed a large mechanism of party and state machinery
    to combat this practice. And, most important, fake Nazi regalia has existed since May 1945. You have gotten some very sound advice from some very learned people for which I see no reason for you to then ask for such advice to be expunged.

..and while I do not collect US military artifacts, how can you say that these items are free of fakes, too?

I recall US civil war and or Indian wars regalia of the state militias being made into regular army regalia with great aplomb when I worked side-by-side with advanced collectors of such regalia.....or uniforms from the post 1865 epoch being modified to fit the pre 1865 epoch and so forth.

How droll.

?

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    ..and while I do not collect US military artifacts, how can you say that these items are free of fakes, too?
    I was thinking the same thing, but I didn't comment due to lack of knowledge on my part. Surely some U.S. WWII militaria must exist as fakes.

I try to make a point of not only pointing out fakes in my field of collecting, but also explaining exactly what details can be observed to help enable ascertaining good from bad and what makes each so. Sometimes I feel that this makes things a little dry for most, but I like to think that over the years i've helped others to save many thousands of dollars/euro's/pounds on the way, and that makes it worthwhile to me, I try to help if I can.

Just lately i've tried not to jump into a new thread too early though, as to encourage thoughts from others. But this hasn't in my opinion really helped much regarding if something is genuine or not. Only today a high end combat badge was shown and went unquestioned with some positive comments (although to be far it was in a group of items) when it was in fact a worthless fake.

It's difficult to know how to tread sometimes.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

American items are indeed faked, and increasingly so! Civil War buckles, WWI-WWII Patches, Web-Gear, Uniforms...On the other hand, there is an active reenactment community as well...
    cheers, Glenn

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast