Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Execute The Fakes!

Article about: Hello Annoyed from this ads?   Have you ever destroyed any of the fake SS or any items you found? You all keep mentioning the bin and tossing it, but did you ever do that? Ever take a h

Quote by bigmacglenn1966 View Post
    American items are indeed faked, and increasingly so! Patches, web-gear, Uniforms being the main focus...
    cheers, Glenn
    I also recall a figure who made fake US Army WWI patches for air units and or units with a notable combat reputation. He was active in the 1970s and very talented, too.
    He also made fake SS regalia, especially SS trumpet banners.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Execute The Fakes!
    P
    Many

Walt Disney used to paint camouflage-patterns on German helmets in his spare time in France...True story!
    Glenn

Execute The Fakes!
    Quote by bigmacglenn1966 View Post
    Walt Disney used to paint camouflage-patterns on German helmets in his spare time in France...True story!
    Glenn
    Such an item would be more desirable than the normal one, unless it was a helmet painted by a German pre- DaDa ist or Otto DIxExecute The Fakes! or such.

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    In addition to the very good points made by Friedrich-Berthold, DrPMC and Glenn let me add the observation that, rather than destroying them, fake items that have found their way into a collector's possession should be retained for reference and study.

Analyzing the characteristics of original items is essential, but acquainting oneself with those of typical fakes is vital as well.

(Of course, it should be ensured that they don't find their way back into the market.)
    Bravo and Bravo again
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Get rid of them all you want they will always be around have been since I was a kid collector early 60's and I see more of them today than ever lost cause. FB and others said it best just know what you are looking at and it can help. timothy

?

The fakers are not going anywhere. It is clear they are becoming much more clever. They are more than likely reading this very thread. The access to such experienced, qualified and generous persons as found only here and a personal commitment are all that is needed. As with anything in life effort brings reward. I often feel fortunate to participate in the conversation with the members here.

I have given away many fake items, mainly SS cloth, to younger collectors so they could study them.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

After years of collecting in a completely different hobby (also somewhat prone to fakes) I bought a punch set and assemble a small punch that stamps a small "Repro". I have only used it once in this hobby to stamp a wound badge. From there I usually sell them to reenactors. I see no need to destroy fakes or repros when there are a whole slew of reenactors that will buy them up. Small punch sets can be purchased from places like Harbor Freight.

Quote by Slade View Post
    After years of collecting in a completely different hobby (also somewhat prone to fakes) I bought a punch set and assemble a small punch that stamps a small "Repro". I have only used it once in this hobby to stamp a wound badge. From there I usually sell them to reenactors. I see no need to destroy fakes or repros when there are a whole slew of reenactors that will buy them up. Small punch sets can be purchased from places like Harbor Freight.
    I can just imagine some cunning bugger getting a set of these stamps and hammering "Hauptmann von" in front of the "Repro" text though.....
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Quote by big ned View Post
    I can just imagine some cunning bugger getting a set of these stamps and hammering "Hauptmann von" in front of the "Repro" text though.....
    Where there's a will there's a way. I do what I can before I pass something on but as we all know nothing is fool proof and their are plenty of maker marked fakes out in the wild.

On a personal and lighter note I enjoy the challenge and education in identifying fakes. It is one of my big draws to this hobby as I find thrill in the chase! Great risk at times yields defeat, but there is nothing like the reward of picking out the one authentic piece in a pile of fakes using nothing but know how

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast