Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

fake SS Gruppe West cap

Article about: I own two real ones of these, so this item does irritate me, as it seems constructed from my caps.....Scheisse. Leave my caps alone.

fake SS Gruppe West capfake SS Gruppe West capfake SS Gruppe West capfake SS Gruppe West capfake SS Gruppe West capfake SS Gruppe West capfake SS Gruppe West capfake SS Gruppe West capfake SS Gruppe West cap
    Quote by jHAM View Post
    Very interesting cap F-B. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. It certainly seems the industry of fakers are following the conversation here.
    Jawohl. Another reason I have steadily grown bored by the whole thing.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement fake SS Gruppe West cap
    P
    Many

F-B, it was probably sourced from the same place as this one:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture fake SS Gruppe West cap   fake SS Gruppe West cap  

“Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

I have always had a soft spot for these Gruppe West hats. In the next few days I have to get this particular example out of storage to photograph it properly as it is reluctantly going off to auction to fund a research project of mine. I will post better, more detailed images when I have done them.
    I may have posted the hat before but it is an interesting one to see in that it no longer has the padded sweatband and features an RZM peak. Darryl Williams, the famed SS collector, got it in one of his motel buys decades ago when a vet brought in 3 early pattern caps. We always surmised that it had to do second duty after its initial issue and was freshened up. The addition of a second pattern eagle, which has holes drilled into it to be sewn to the hat would attest to at least three years of service, possibly more. Perhaps Herr Estor couldn't afford a new one. Coincidentally I recently read, in a study of SS-TV enlisted men, that one of the volunteers only joined the SS because his elder brother had been thrown out of the SS and his old uniform was going begging.
    Looking at it anew I must say that I like the softer profile of these early hats.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture fake SS Gruppe West cap   fake SS Gruppe West cap  

Thanks for the additional material. I recall your posting your caps some time ago.

The refurbishment aspect of this piece only adds to its allure.

Does your piece have an RZM tag? The two I own do not, as I assumed the SS Gruppe contract with Kupper or with whomever predated the rise of the white
    RZM tag with the brown lettering or the SS/RZM tag, but what do I know?

Thanks again for sharing with us all.

No, the hat doesn't have an RZM tag and neither did the other example I saw in a famous English collection.

Quote by d'alquen View Post
    No, the hat doesn't have an RZM tag and neither did the other example I saw in a famous English collection.
    Sir, thanks so much. As I wrote, mine have no such tag and I think were made prior to, or despite, the requirement.

I share your enthusiasm for earlier caps, and apparently the fakers have or have not responded with their own interpretation.

?

D'alquen's cap is a wonderful example, as are FB's. Thank you both for posting your fine examples.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2