Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

First pattern Latvian volunteer sleeve shield

Article about: Hi guys, would like to show you this Latvian shield, first pattern, opinions are welcome, many thanks

Default First pattern Latvian volunteer sleeve shield

Hi guys, would like to show you this Latvian shield, first pattern, opinions are welcome, many thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture First pattern Latvian volunteer sleeve shield   First pattern Latvian volunteer sleeve shield  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement First pattern Latvian volunteer sleeve shield
    P
    Many

Any opinions please?

I know this is an older post, but I thought I would bump this back up as the subject has caught my interest.

I've encountered these types of Latvian Legion arm shields in the past before, but passed on them as I didn't know if they were legitimate or not. Each of the examples I've seen like this seem to differ a bit in size, and have makers stamps on the reverse. The maker stamps seem to belong to local Latvian manufacturers. Can anyone confirm that these types of shields were ever used, or are they just reproductions that have made the rounds in various collections? I'm familiar with the more well known Dachau examples, but these have always made me scratch my head.

Best regards- Jarret

?

I would be interested in knowing as well. there was a recent Latvian lot that sold on the Stockholm site that had one of these.

First pattern Latvian volunteer sleeve shieldFirst pattern Latvian volunteer sleeve shield

CREDIT: Military Antiques Stockholm

I will defult to Ashok who is far more knowledgeable on these, however i have always taken a wide birth with most of these cheese cloth first type shields. In saying that I would feel more comfortable with latter example than the first one which i assume was off emedals. The first type Latvian insignia, including the metal runic collar tabs are incredibly notorious for being faked. I would not feel comfortable buying this as a set if it were me, most likely assembled.

Morris

I feel like these shields look a lot like the one in this period photo.

Best Regards- Jarret

Of course they existed that is not the question, there are 3 or 4 first pattern variations, some with the Lavian name, some with the duel city name on either side of the white stripe. However like anything ss and in particular ethnic SS units faking is to a high degree.

Morris