Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Found This SS Uniform in an ATTIC!!

Article about: I still can't believe this thread exists. What a lucky find. This is really the dream.

Default Re: Found This SS Uniform in an ATTIC!!

I still can't believe this thread exists. What a lucky find. This is really the dream.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Found This SS Uniform in an ATTIC!!
    P
    Many

Okay my friends after speaking with the sister of the vet who brought this grouping home from WWII....What she told me today blew me away! She said her father told her that he found the uniform left at a place called Leipzig - Schonefeild which I think was a concentration camp. She said they found them in lockers at the site because the SS who worked there would change into civilian clothing to flee as the US troops got close. She wrote these things down in a memory book of her father before he died! I just wanted to keep the thread updated with my new findings.

Devin

?

I think it must have been the Leipzig-Thekla sub camb of Buchenwald she was talking about.

Sorry for the horrible images but the truth is brutal and tallies with the story that the SS guards took off their uniforms as quick as possible.

Photo Archives Query Results

Thanks for sharing this with us. As others have said, It really is the find of a lifetime!! Congrats my friend. Best Regards, Rob

?

I say this with the upmost of seriousness.
    You are in the possesion of items that are likely to be of historic significance no matter how disturbing they are. Think carefully from this point onwards about what you will do with them because emotion can get in the way of rational thought.
    They are potentialy worth a serious amount of money to some people but to others they represent THE worst atrocities of the 20th century.
    Be careful who you discuss these items with.
    I speak from experience because I used to own a KZ Lager piped hat and it was desired and loathed in equal measure.
    Your grouping goes beyond that hat though because you have direct provenance.

-----------------------------------

Sorry to stress this point but I just read another congratulations from a forum member whilst I was typing.
    This group isn't something to be congratulated about.
    It transcends all that and is in the league of significant historical importance.
    You really need to get some experienced advice on this.

?

Quote by devincu View Post
    he said he was in the 2nd Infantry Division and was part of the first wave on Omaha Beach!! Anyway it is a neat story and I came home with this uniform. I really don't know a lot about SS items but have come to find out that this one is pretty rare! Any help with the uniform advice etc. would be great...thanks Devin
    This is all fitting into place and making it all the more important.

2nd Infantry Division
    Liberated Leipzig-Schönefeld (Buchenwald subcamp)
    Spergau (labor education camp)

US Army Units

WW II vets visit Qns en route to Poland • TimesLedger

?

UPDATE.

This group has now been sold to a collector in New Jersey. Here is the uniform and cap alongside the ones of the US 2nd Infantry Division vet.

It's a shame that Devin couldn't be bothered to update or thank us himself, especially after all the help he received here.

That's the way it goes though, money is king, not good manners and there was an awful lot of money involved here.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Found This SS Uniform in an ATTIC!!   Found This SS Uniform in an ATTIC!!  

Especialy when he says;
    Well the Military Collector in me...
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Loathsome behaviour...

Quote by RH1941 View Post
    Devin I hope you gave him a break on the price of the job after that great gift .
    Am I the only one who is a bit creeped out that you went through someone else's boxes when working on their HVAC?

Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast