Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Found This SS Uniform in an ATTIC!!

Article about: I still can't believe this thread exists. What a lucky find. This is really the dream.

?

Default Re: Found This SS Uniform in an ATTIC!!

spot-on and winningly clear explanation per usual, fb. we thank'ee for it. by the way, your latest (?) is an extremely nice, dare one say gasp-worthy ensemble of wooly black foetidity! and admirably draped. dw

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    Attachment 442475I also secured this ensemble recently, which someone got somewhere, and the thing is all quite organic. All the items, save the belt, are of the date 1935 1936, and the person was tall and slender, which is embodied in the size of the coat and overcoat. The cap is unit marked and date as the rest of the ensemble. This was plainly found somewhere at some point somehow.
    David Delich saw this ensemble when it appeared in the old Manion's in the early 1990s.
    I have other complete SS uniforms of more or less similar biography and origin.
    At the same time, the bulk of what we see in these spaces is fake, decorated, embroidered, and humped up, as some say.
    The two apparently contradictory facts exist in relation to each other and the digital pictures cause a lot of jealousy.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Found This SS Uniform in an ATTIC!!
    P
    Many

So, do we know that for a fact any of this was real stuff? or pictures form some place else. Was the panel here 'punk'd' or the victims of a practical joke? On some other forums i frequent especially, with old airplanes, this sort of 'find' is floated from time to time with rare airframes and then later turns out to be a hoax after too many people are willing to suspend disbeleif and enthusiastically ponder the exciting aspects of this new 'find' - witness the recent luncay with respect to Spitifres in Burma.

I would hate to see knowledgable people become less participatory but perhaps the regulars here might consider being more circumspect with new members whose first post is for information and value on a find etc. never to be heard from again. I understand the desire to be helpful and so forth but maybe a little more restraint in advice would serve people well and reduce the chacne for hurt feelings etc.

Quote by vady View Post
    spot-on and winningly clear explanation per usual, fb. we thank'ee for it. by the way, your latest (?) is an extremely nice, dare one say gasp-worthy ensemble of wooly black foetidity! and admirably draped. dw
    Thank you, dear friend, nice to hear from you. I hope you are well. We are sinking into the goo here.

Quote by asterperious View Post
    So, do we know that for a fact any of this was real stuff? or pictures form some place else. Was the panel here 'punk'd' or the victims of a practical joke? On some other forums i frequent especially, with old airplanes, this sort of 'find' is floated from time to time with rare airframes and then later turns out to be a hoax after too many people are willing to suspend disbeleif and enthusiastically ponder the exciting aspects of this new 'find' - witness the recent luncay with respect to Spitifres in Burma.

I would hate to see knowledgable people become less participatory but perhaps the regulars here might consider being more circumspect with new members whose first post is for information and value on a find etc. never to be heard from again. I understand the desire to be helpful and so forth but maybe a little more restraint in advice would serve people well and reduce the chacne for hurt feelings etc.
    You make very valid points. What I saw was authentic on the face of it, but whether any of the story is authentic is something else. Ben engaged this person much more directly than did I, and he asked my advice, in turn.
    I have been enduring fish stories of regalia since the 1960s and am fairly skeptical of all of them. Of course, a child hood friend of mine told me in the fourth grade in 1962 that he had an X-15 in his basement, but we were not allowed to see it. His father really was at Anzio in early 1944 and made it to the liberation of Dachau, where he secured one of the Hoffmann cigarette Hitler books, which mesmerized me as a wee pike. So, I forgive him for having a phantom space plane in his basement. I also greatly admired his father, who was a great surgeon.

It was about this time that the film about a self styled band leader, Mr. Harold Hill, the Music Man, who was really a con man, was popular in Hollywood. Con men are a part of popular culture in my country, that is snake oil salesmen. I live in a place where there was gold rush, so I grew up rather used to cries of Eureka and such.
    If the stalwarts here retreat, as common sense would dictate and the limits of human patience suggest, this site will go tango ultra very fast.

Quote by vady View Post
    I need a half mannequin for my displays and window dressing, but my wife forbids all such appliances hereabouts.

?

there is a really excellent man in the commonwealth of virginia in the 'states. if the owner cares to p.m. me I will share his contact info.

?

Quote by asterperious View Post
    I was thinking about this point today and I'm not sure about the answer yet. The desire to help is something I've always had since I was a kid but also something I was aware of when people would take the piss.

IMO, this guy was taking the piss..

?

o the treasures that the Gentle Sex have heaved away and continue to! remarkable and refreshing, though, that the current trove was spared such an inglorious end. stupefying discovery!

"IMO, this guy was taking the piss.." quote, Ben VK

This is poetry, but does it mean that he was trying to trick us?

I am grateful that you are helpful. It rubs off and makes others better, in turn.

smoke and mirrors WWII WSS Uniform found in Attic - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums

Very Nice Howard, its starting to shape up. Nice to have friends..huh

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast