MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Has this Allgemeine Tunic been discussed before

Article about: Hi people, Your opinions would be much appreciated

Default Re: Has this Allgemeine Tunic been discussed before

I am sorry that I couldnt provide better pictures, Ulrich has many "top-end" items - has anyone had any problems with this dealer?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Has this Allgemeine Tunic been discussed before
    P
    Many

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    Thank you, colleague. The images of the Ulrich Needham or whatever his real name is site are never very clear or revealing.

I am not a dealer basher, mind you.

We are happy to share our knowledge when the evidence is forth right and suggestive.
    I share the same basic complaint. And I also don't intend any bashing by saying it, but I find the pictures provided more artistic than practical and, especially as it concerns higher end items, relatively worthless.

More than once were said images more accommodating, I might have picked up the phone.

With what is usually provided there, not only can I not feel comfortable in making any determinations myself, but any other opinion I might solicit here would be hampered by the same problem.

Quote by tempelhof View Post
    I share the same basic complaint. And I also don't intend any bashing by saying it, but I find the pictures provided more artistic than practical and, especially as it concerns higher end items, relatively worthless.

More than once were said images more accommodating, I might have picked up the phone.

With what is usually provided there, not only can I not feel comfortable in making any determinations myself, but any other opinion I might solicit here would be hampered by the same problem.
    Well said. I really am not here to unload on dealers, since I have cordial relations with them more or less.

My habitus is not constituted of the indignant, heroic collector David slaying the dealer Goliath....far from it.

This dealer has authentic material of a desirable sort, but I have not dealt with him, and would not because of the cultural difference, that is, I always get the impression if one is not an Earl, Duke or Count of the most medieval lineage or in the Almanch de Gotha or invited to assassinate grouse in Scotland, there is no service.

I have spent a lot of time with nobles in the German and Austrian army, and never receive such treatment whatsoever. They have always been down to earth, engaging, charming, and an example of character and merit. And then, there are the high living ones, too, who are enviable.

- - Updated - -

Bob Coleman and Bob Hritz have very nice grey SS uniforms of great rarity.

Has this Allgemeine Tunic been discussed beforeHas this Allgemeine Tunic been discussed beforeHas this Allgemeine Tunic been discussed beforeHas this Allgemeine Tunic been discussed beforeIn this connection, I make another point. When this online thing began, to be sure, dealers such as they are did a lot to perpetuate the myth that they had all knowledge and controlled same in a dictatorial way. This proposition is absurd, of course, and this medium has liberated knowledge in a welcome way.
    I surely do not begrudge anyone the odious and onerous proposition of making a living from these odd things, but such persons should not masquerade as professional historians, when they are plainly not, nor should they attempt to channelize or censor knowledge.
    We have created a means to share knowledge on this site without the collateral damage that makes such an effort otherwise impossible because of collector psychoses and the weight of the seven deadly sins with old clothes and headwear.

I am sure that the field grey tunic is likely authentic, but these things require such a minute level of scrutiny, which is made much worse by the fata morganas and chimaeras that adhere to the on line experience.

Better to have the thing in your hand, sniff it, and scratch it, as well, and consult with others in the conventional mode. Has this Allgemeine Tunic been discussed beforeHas this Allgemeine Tunic been discussed beforeHas this Allgemeine Tunic been discussed beforeHas this Allgemeine Tunic been discussed beforeHas this Allgemeine Tunic been discussed beforeHas this Allgemeine Tunic been discussed before
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 07-14-2012 at 06:10 PM.

F.B,

Your and others responses are precisely what I was hoping for regarding this.
    I have been guided by you and would never have purchased the Allgemeine items I have without your confirmation. My Father said to me - "why are you interested in this , physically having it doesn't mean anything unless you have the belief, which no longer is relevant or exists"
    Dad finally went back to Germany in the mid 80's and brought back the things that I have shared onsite, most of the family SS memoribilia were taken by the Allied Occupation powers, mainly due to my Father's cousin being the replacement driver at the time of Michael Wittman's death. Dad always told me that I was never to have an Allgemeine uniform as he hated them, I never understood why, he used to say that the Allgemeine were the last to fight. My Mother told me after my Father's passing that he had been publicly humilated by an ex-Allgemeine Officer who had ridiculed him for not having served in the 12th Hitler Jugend Division and for having been taken prisoner.
    Last edited by greimers; 07-15-2012 at 04:52 AM.

Quote by greimers View Post
    F.B,

Your and others responses are precisely what I was hoping for regarding this.
    I have been guided by you and would never have purchased the Allgemeine items I have without your confirmation. My Father said to me - "why are you interested in this , physically having it doesn't mean anything unless you have the belief, which no longer is relevant or exists"
    Dad finally went back to Germany in the mid 80's and brought back the things that I have shared onsite, most of the family SS memoribilia were taken by the Allied Occupation powers, mainly due to my Father's cousin being the replacement driver at the time of Michael Wittman's death. Dad always told me that I was never to have an Allgemeine uniform as he hated them, I never understood why, he used to say that the Allgemeine were the last to fight. My Mother told me after my Father's passing that he had been publicly humilated by an ex-Allgemeine Officer who had ridiculed him for not having served in the 12th Hitler Jugend Division and for having been taken prisoner. Apparrently my Father was so angry he gave him a "Hamburg Kiss" and kicked him in the stomach, something that was unheard of in Australia in the 1970's. My Mother was so embarrassed that she did all our shopping in towns 30 kms away for nearly 2 years.
    Thank you. Very interesting story. I am well aware from personal experience of how Germans of various kinds treated each other because of the war, and even the same phenomenon obtains today in the Bundeswehr. (i.e. those who have been in AFG and those who have not...) In the 1970s and 1980s, I spent a great deal of time with Wehrmacht veterans in the Bw and not and wrote a book on such things, actually. My professional life has been with soldiers since 1975, more or less, and I am well aware of the dynamics of military hierarchy and its abuses.
    In any case, do not buy something expensive without due consideration and adequate data. There is no need, however, to fetch a lot of mediocre or worthless opinions as happens on the Wehrmacht Awards Forum and other trash heaps.
    Nor do I wish to do this dealer, whom I do not know, any harm or unfair criticism.
    I read his book on Heydrich, which did not impress me at all, since it is the work of an amateur. The sole merit connected to it was the picture research.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 07-14-2012 at 11:49 PM.

F.B ,

Regardless of the original thread intent, you just continue to intrigue me.

And military hieracy - don't get me started. Memories, whilst Guard ommander, of the CO's wife driving thru the gate, with a car full of sluts, demanding to be saluted, then asking who could supply cocaine

- - Updated - -

And military hieracy - don't get me started. Memories, whilst Guard ommander, of the CO's wife driving thru the gate, with a car full of sluts, demanding to be saluted, then asking who could supply cocaine

Quote by greimers View Post

- - Updated - -

Watch the film of the Kirst novel, 08/15 for all of this in the Wehrmacht in lurid detail.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2