Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Help on Black SS officers visor

Article about: This is an excellent example of how a thread with a simple question can become a very instructive discussion!!!! thanks FB! So,the cap in question looks good but the "TUCHMUTZE" ta

?

Default Re: Help on Black SS officers visor

Without the proper photography equipment and skills, it's very difficult to accurately portray "black and white" hats. In most photos, the white piping is over exposed and the black under exposed which results in a total miss-interpretation of the true condition of the fabrics.

Add to that the difficulty in judging the age/authentity of black and white cloth when it might still be in good or near perfect condition anyway and you have your work really cut out for you when looking at photos. This photo has been expertly taken and really helps authenticate what your looking at but without further images of the "guts" of the hat, I personally wouldn't be able to say yey or nay for certain. As FB said, images are never sufficient but the better and more detailed or "macro" they are, the more chance you have of making an accurate assessment.

However, the problem I have encountered time and time again is that the majority of sellers/dealers seem to take it either as a personal insult when you ask for better photos or claim that they just don't have the time. When this occurs, I walk away without hesitation.

I'm sure a lot of other collectors have been through the same situation and is probably the reason why a lot of items remain unsold on websites for years and years. To buy at this level, you have to take it very seriously but it seems some sellers cannot grasp this notion.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help on Black SS officers visor  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help on Black SS officers visor
    P
    Many

Help on Black SS officers visorHelp on Black SS officers visorHelp on Black SS officers visorVery sound analysis. Also a nice image of said cap, which has patina.
    Some have less patina, ergo one has a harder time making an assessment, especially if they have not handled many of these.

Help on Black SS officers visorHelp on Black SS officers visorHelp on Black SS officers visorHelp on Black SS officers visorHelp on Black SS officers visorHelp on Black SS officers visorHelp on Black SS officers visorHelp on Black SS officers visorHelp on Black SS officers visorHelp on Black SS officers visorHelp on Black SS officers visorHelp on Black SS officers visorHelp on Black SS officers visorHelp on Black SS officers visorHelp on Black SS officers visorHelp on Black SS officers visorHelp on Black SS officers visorHelp on Black SS officers visorHelp on Black SS officers visorblack and white caps....

?

Hmm, is this one a hat or a black forest gateau?
    Attached Images Attached Images Help on Black SS officers visor 

Perhaps the latter.

Help on Black SS officers visorHelp on Black SS officers visorHelp on Black SS officers visorHelp on Black SS officers visorHelp on Black SS officers visorHelp on Black SS officers visorHelp on Black SS officers visorHelp on Black SS officers visorThese are the same hats, but after someone had fiddled with the badge, which I then un fiddled. That is, in 1991 when Manion's sold it and Delich made this picture here, the cap had the early badge, which was likely its original posture; then it had a fako badge when Shea got it from the collector; then I made Shea get a good badge, but of later make...and then I restored an early badge, since the holes were very prominent. The cap badge madness with SS caps is over the top. It is nice when the badges are all original, but collectors screw around with these so much that is pretty irritating.

Help on Black SS officers visorThis is the fake badge that some dorkimer put on the cap at some point. I guess they did not like the real 1929 badge, which well fit this cap made in 1935/6. Such vandalism is typical. In any case, I fixed it.

?

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    Perhaps the latter.
    I asked the dealer for a higher res photo and was just sent this.

The piping looks a little creamy to me...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help on Black SS officers visor  

Help on Black SS officers visorHelp on Black SS officers visorHelp on Black SS officers visorHelp on Black SS officers visorI had to fix this one, too, actually. From the time it went from its original collection to a noted other collector and then to a dealer, someone then later after 2006 or so pried off the Hoheitszeichen and replaced it with a lousy fake, which I then replaced with a real one....

Very irritating.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 11-10-2012 at 11:46 PM.

Quote by BenVK View Post
    I asked the dealer for a higher res photo and was just sent this.

The piping looks a little creamy to me...
    Very nice. I am very fond of Schwarzwaelder Kirschtorte, actually. I have spent a happy time in the Black Forest and my forebearers also lived for a long time in Stuttgart.
    Ben, that is one of the better collages we have had here. Well done.

The best Schwarzwaelder is from the Kurkonditorei "Decker" in Staufen, which is Help on Black SS officers visorat the foot of the Black Forest.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 11-10-2012 at 11:02 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast