Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Help to ID SS Swagger stick. Real or not?

Article about: asking for help from the war relics community. In the photo's below is what i have been told is an SS Officers swagger stick. Stick has been broken but retains its original Eagle head and li

Default Re: Help to ID SS Swagger stick. Real or not?

Quote by big ned View Post
    2B or not 2B, that is the question.....

Is that my taxi....???
    *holds head in hands and groans*

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help to ID SS Swagger stick. Real or not?
    P
    Many

I'm with Ned on shoe horn. An optimistic appraisal you originally received I think.

Looks more like a cormorant head than an eagle.

Quote by robin morley View Post
    Looks more like a cormorant head than an eagle.
    Help to ID SS Swagger stick. Real or not?
    I thought it was an albatross!...

Quote by charteroakbooks View Post
    Thanks to all for the replies... the Bible says a merry heart doeth good like a medicine and it is good that I have brought some joviality to War relics.

But 2 observations.....

1. Swagger stick was a poor choice. perhaps riding crop is the right wording because the stick was broken in half and I only have the upper half. So try to imagine a riding crop twice the length of what is shown. Of those I have seen a number of images on google.

2. I made the same mistake with the runes at first. There are 3 white bands but they are not the SS runes. That is the dark pair inside of the white. When you look at the dark pair the SS runes are clearly seen.

But the point of the matter is that no one recognizes the stick and that is what I was trying to find out
    It is NOT a riding crop, believe me I know. On the riding crops you have seen, you will have noticed that some have a head similar to the one you show here, so I know where your coming from. But do you know what it's for???

I'll tell you, it's for opening and closing gate latches. The item you show is nowhere big enough or strong enough (let's remember that a pencil nearly dwarfs it...) Furthermore, it appears that it has not been "broken in half" as the end shows no sign of being snapped, it's actually looks like it's been finished (perhaps you could take another pic to confirm this), and still has a ring of glue around it where the spoon of a shoe horn was fitted. The birds head with the hooked beak is used to pull a boot on by the loop at the back of the ankle.

Please believe me, this is not, and never will be, anything like you think/wish it it to be other than a broken shoe horn (though i'm sure you could repair it should you feel driven to.)

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

There is no connection to SS other than possibility of Stainless Steel being used :-)
    Or maybe SS stands for super short or simply short stick.
    Last edited by meyle77; 03-26-2013 at 05:02 PM.

My, Grandmother... what a BIG pencil you have there!

Tiffini Burlingame
    ?

Hello,
    I am trying to identify a swagger stick i inherited does anyone know how i go about this?

Quote by Tiffini Burlingame View Post
    Hello,
    I am trying to identify a swagger stick i inherited does anyone know how i go about this?
    Welcome to the forum,

Putting up some good clear photo's with close ups of any relevant detail is a good start Tiff.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3