Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Help identifying SS uniform

Article about: by yarmouth Thank you all for your wonderful help! Very fascinating history indeed! Thanks, and, if you examine the contemporary sources, the SS people were confused by the same system at th

Default Help identifying SS uniform

Yes, it's me again lol. Have another question for you gents and ladies. Is this fellow a member of the SS Headquarter's staff? Thanks!

Help identifying SS uniform
    Last edited by yarmouth; 04-29-2014 at 09:56 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help identifying SS uniform
    P
    Many

?

There is no evidence of this man's position or assignment in this photo. He lacks a cufftitle and the right kragenspeigel is blank or unreadable. These are the critical insignia for determining assignment. Another hint could come from a sleeve diamond but he does not have one. Perhaps there is more info on the back of the photo?
    If you are interested in learning more about ss uniforms then I would recommend purchasing the Mollo collection Uniforms of the SS.
    Help identifying SS uniformHelp identifying SS uniformHelp identifying SS uniformHelp identifying SS uniform

Quote by jHAM View Post
    There is no evidence of this mans position or assignment in this photo.
    Thanks jHAM. It is my understanding that a blank right collar tab means that the member was SS HQ staff or staff of a satellite unit. If not blank the collar tab would have either SS runes or a Totenkopf. I'm new to this so I'd appreciate any info. Thanks!

Quote by yarmouth View Post
    Thanks jHAM. It is my understanding that a blank right collar tab means that the member was SS HQ staff or staff of a satellite unit. If not blank the collar tab would have either SS runes or a Totenkopf.
    No, that's not quite right. Basically, and greatly simplified, it breaks down like this:

Blank collar patches were worn by personnel of the RFSS/Hauptämter/Ämter, the Oberabschnitte, the SD/Sipo, foreign WSS volunteer units not (yet) assigned a distinctive collar patch, candidates and various others.

"SS Rune" collar patches were only worn by personnel of the SSPB/SSVT/WSS. (With various other symbols used for foreign volunteer formations.)

"Deaths Head" collar patches were only worn by KZ/SSTV/SSTK personnel.

The Allgemeine SS used a system of Arabic and Roman numerals and other letters, symbols and cyphers that is too extensive to fully explain here.

Mollo really is essential reading here.

Holy "mollo"y lol... So any idea what this fellow is by his uniform?

I'm downloading Mollo right now on PDF. Thanks for the info on his work.

Andreas is always right. In this image, you can see these pre October 1934 style of collar patches with the white cord, which I have shown often.

So if I was to meet this guy on the street in Berlin of the 30's I really wouldn't know what he was in? Sorry, just confused lol.

Quote by yarmouth View Post
    So if I was to meet this guy on the street in Berlin of the 30's I really wouldn't know what he was in? Sorry, just confused lol.
    He was in some headquaters position in the SS, or possibly the SD, but this image is from a moment before many of the typical badges, insignia, cuff titles and such had emerged.
    And, let me say that much of the past is confusing, so you might as well get used to it and accept it.
    The digital circus replete with such clowns as myself and others more worthy make it all seem a lot easier than it actually is.

We owe a debt of thanks to such men as Andreas and the others here who so generously answer questions, and do so day after day.

Thank you all for your wonderful help! Very fascinating history indeed!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast