Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9

Help me decide about this Feldmuetze Alter Art (crusher)

Article about: Moving on, I'd like to talk about the fabric of the cap cover. I have no doubt about it's authenticity, it's the really horrible quality wool made with wood pulp and god knows what else in t

?

Help me decide about this Feldmuetze Alter Art (crusher)Help me decide about this Feldmuetze Alter Art (crusher)Help me decide about this Feldmuetze Alter Art (crusher)
    Quote by BenVK View Post
    However, when researching the piping on the crown, the "basket weave" rayon, I found similar examples in my own collection (Luft visor cap, ex HG soldier) plus many others from all branches and items, shoulderboards mostly though.
    Our friend and collegue Derek posted this most interesting SS hat a few years ago with the stained piping that looks almost yelllow/orange.

Please forgive my indulgence. I'm merely cataloging evidence that I and maybe others can refer to later. I'm not trying to proove anything about the hat I posted, it must stand or fall on it's own merits.
    Ladies and Gentlemen,

please forgive me to answer to this thread so late, perhaps the issue has already been treated elsewhere on the forum. I just stumbled over the problem on my search for Feldmützen alter Art, as I want to try to make such an item.

Piping was usually (as long as the material was available) made out of Abzeichentuch, with a cord/rattan/metal ring etc. inside, or of the well known woven Gespinstlitze in silver or gold.
    Later in the war prefabricated piping turned up. The problem with this was, that you couldn't join the ends by sewing them together - you had to join them by overlapping. There are pictures of caps somewhere in this forum which show that the overlapping was done in very different places on the cap - at the back seam of the crown or to the right or left of this seam. The piping of the cap band usually was not joined by overlapping at the back seam and certainly it was not simply sewn in at the back seam without overlapping. For me this always is a sign for a fake (please correct me if I'm wrong).

As to the pictures: on the cap there are different kinds of prefabricated woven pipings and for the cap itself I used such a piping, too (thus the overlapping). Then there are different ribbons and a Gespinstlitze which have to be sewn around an inlay (the above mentioned cord etc.) and a white self-made piping where this has already been done. This explains the plentitude of weaves and pipings - it all depended on what material one had and how it was produced.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help me decide about this Feldmuetze Alter Art (crusher)
    P
    Many

Our friend ErWeSa is a genius.

- - ------- - -

I have owned such caps with the over lap piping out of rayon that were quite real.....

?

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    Our friend ErWeSa is a genius.

- - ------- - -

I have owned such caps with the over lap piping out of rayon that were quite real.....
    Dear Sir,

not at all! Trotzdem danke.

Quote by ErWeSa View Post
    Dear Sir,

not at all! Trotzdem danke.
    I am a great admirer of your intelligence and gifts..FB

?

Nachtrag: I forgot to mention the method of slipping one end of the Gespinstlitze over the other, as shown in this example published today by stonemint here: LW Blue-top Officer Visors.

Rarely used before 1945; mostly seen in post-war caps. Very surprising to see it in a Holter's.
    Help me decide about this Feldmuetze Alter Art (crusher)

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9